how do i find same models with my motherboard?

All hardware or software issues that do not have a specific forum go here.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

how do i find same models with my motherboard?

Postby anoukaimee » Fri Feb 26, 2016 5:24 pm

I have a Toshiba Satellite C55-C5241, and I am simply trying to upgrade the WiFi card to a dual band AC half PCI-e card with bluetooth enabled. But I am a relative newbie to hardware, and have run into multiple problems trying to find a compatible model, because the BIOS is whitelisted.

Toshiba support was useless, but I spoke with an Intel rep who was apologetic because he said he only dealt with OEMs, but that "if I find a model with the same motherboard that uses an AC card, I could use that card. I'm not sure if that's entirely correct, but I'm guessing that if I find a Toshiba Satellite with the right motherboard and card I can use the same model.

So here's what I found (forgive duplicate information or if there is something missing):

I believe the model is SR23Y.
PART # FH8065801620204
(SUMMARY FF50 06F2 (U3EI))
MANUFACTURER FF50
MODEL 06F2 (U3EI)
VERSION TYPE2 -BOARD VERSION
INTEL CHIPSET MODEL BROADWELL-U, CHIPSET REVISION 09
SOUTHBRIDGE INTEL MODEL BROADWELL-U PCH L-P, REVISION 0

CPU INTEL CORE I5 5200U @ 2.20 GHZ
BROADWELL-U 14 (0.014) NM TECHNOLOGY
CORE STEPPING: F0

FAMILY: 6 (06H)
MODEL: 61 (03Dh)
CPUID SIGNATURE: 306D4
STEPPING: 4 (04h)

I looked at a driver id site online, entered in SR23Y, and got these results:

http://members.driverguide.com/driver_s ... otherboard

Does that mean that any of the listed computers have the same motherboard?

If not, is there a different way to identify the model (a list somewhere)?

I've been searching everywhere, and unfortunately, an external USB adapter would be very difficult to use--I want a 3.0 and they're gigantic, and the 3.0 port is stupidly located on the mousing side. Just want to get a card if I can find it.

Really hoping someone can help me!

Thanks in advance.
anoukaimee
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Re: how do i find same models with my motherboard?

Postby Karlsweldt » Sat Feb 27, 2016 8:44 am

The most positive ID of a motherboard is the BIOS string, found in the lower left corner of the first info screen viewed.
Could be displaying just the logo screen, but may be an option to show all info in the BIOS. A diagnostics program can reveal the BIOS string easily. A 'model' number or type may be for one specific issue, or as a base for several different issues.
A service tag should be on the unit, noting the model number and service ID or options class.
Any feature upgrades have to be compatible to the existing design and BIOS version. Any system older than 3 years may not be compatible with newer features. But worth a try.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Toby B. » Sat Feb 27, 2016 9:34 am

A couple of things..

I am not trying to discourage you from an upgrade, but Toshiba is a low-end laptop, replacing a motherboard in one yourself is not for recommended for the average user. It is a daunting process, lots of pieces in very small space.

Not to mention the cost. Generally you would be spending more on a this project than it would be to buy a new laptop.
cost of motherboard
labor to install it

And as far as finding the same models with your motherboard, is a mute point as you would want to find on with the device you are looking for (i.e. the dual band card), then you would have to consider will that board function in your laptop. possible different video connection, different processor (heat production), etc...
Toby B.
Lead Mobo-fu Master
Lead Mobo-fu Master

Postby anoukaimee » Sat Feb 27, 2016 7:10 pm

Thanks for your help!

Just so you understand, I don't want to upgrade the motherboard. I just want to install a new network adapter card that isn't whitelisted by Toshiba.

I found that a model with the same motherboard info now has an older Intel card ([http://www.amazon.com/Intel-3160-Wireless-Bluetooth-Supports/dp/B00IOS19E6/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1456628867&sr=8-4&keywords=intel+dual+band+adapter+pci-e+half). I decided to go with a newer model (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00RB3PSHE?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00), that advertises that it is compatible with all but two brands. If it doesn't work, can return w/ free shipping. Worth a try.

Thank you for your help!
anoukaimee
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby Karlsweldt » Sun Feb 28, 2016 6:51 am

Understood that the motherboard was not to be replaced.. only the WiFi feature. But with the almost overnight advances in technology and design, might be a hard goal to achieve. If the retailer offers a sure promise of being compatible and a good return policy, worth a try. Being a (laptop) model with newer WiFi standards, likely the antenna will work properly. But if a different frequency, the antenna may need changing also. Length is critical with transmit/receive antennas for optimal performance.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby evasive » Fri Mar 25, 2016 6:56 am

We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby fussnfeathers » Tue Apr 05, 2016 2:18 pm

Take your time taking that lappie apart Most have at least four screws under the keyboard, to start with. Karl's explanation is dead on, and I agree with Evasive that it's probably just as easy as up[grading the whole computer. I've personally never run across a "universal fit" part of any type in a laptop, given the wide variety of motherboard designed for each model, location of the slot you want to put the the card in, etc. It'd be easier just to get another laptop of the same quality.
Faster than the speed of snot

Two wrongs don't make it right, but I sleep pretty good at night
fussnfeathers
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Return to General