Laptop Battery Chargers

All hardware or software issues that do not have a specific forum go here.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Laptop Battery Chargers

Postby c327 » Thu Feb 11, 2016 3:49 am

I'm using a laptop as a home computer and it will not be left on all the time. With the SSD and the LED LCD screen the battery lasts pretty long as compared to my older laptop. Over time I don't want to wear out the charger end of the cord or where the cord plugs into the computer.

What I want to know is it better to take the battery out and leave the cord plugged into the computer all the time with the PC turned off or leave the battery in and the charger connected at both ends????
“Respect cannot be learned, purchased or acquired - it can only be earned” "Pay It Forward"
c327
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Re: Laptop Battery Chargers

Postby Karlsweldt » Thu Feb 11, 2016 7:56 am

Once the battery is at maximum level, the charger (AC power unit) goes into a 'float' mode until a load drops the voltage to resume charging. The charger is favored whenever the laptop or tablet is in use. Running on just the battery has some consequences, as once the voltage falls to a low limit, the laptop or system might shut down with only a short warning.
Some battery types, such as Ni-Cad, develop a memory problem with charging rates and use.. and can have short-cycle symptoms. Best to drain near totally, then recharge. Li-Ion types are less prone to memory problems with charging and use.
But any battery type is limited in number of charging cycles. Any AC charger or power unit has its weakest point at the connector to the device. The more flexing and bending, the sooner wires will break.
Best to leave the battery in the unit, and if not used in more than two weeks, recharge for a few hours. If the device is not used overnight or for several hours, unplug the charger and its AC source.
Cold temperatures are not good for any battery life. You could loose about 1/3 capacity at freezing temperatures, almost 2/3 capacity at zero Fahrenheit.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Mr T » Thu Feb 11, 2016 12:29 pm

I always leave the battery in and go on mains, very rarely need the battery power... It is good backup to leave the battery in to avoid any issues if the AC cord drops out or you get a power cut...
I have been programming on computers since the ZX81.
I am an apprentice trained Electronics Engineer with qualifications to back it up.
I have been repairing computers since 1996.
Yet to some people I still know nothing...
Mr T
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Postby c327 » Fri Feb 12, 2016 1:35 am

Mr T wrote:I always leave the battery in and go on mains, very rarely need the battery power... It is good backup to leave the battery in to avoid any issues if the AC cord drops out or you get a power cut...

Ok always leave the battery in, but would you always leave the charger connected and plugged in at the same time? Just trying to avoid charger cable and end damage especially at the computers end over time and possibly a fire. Another benefit of having a desktop PC I know.

My reasoning for changing from a desktop besides from being old was I can't pick up and take the desktop every time I go some place. In the past moving important needed files and folders back and forth from desktop to laptop was a big pain in the a--. I am aware of the trade offs.

The desktop although still in great condition and running well was just to old hardware wise and the cost of upgrading the entire tower just didn't justify doing it vs a complete rebuild. The move from Windows XP Pro 32 bit to Windows 10 Pro 64 bit was a huge move for me as it required me getting rid of my stand alone fax machine, scanner, and printer, monitor, keyboard, wired mouse a new OS and all new software not to mention a new learning experience with 10. I really liked the simplicity of XP.
“Respect cannot be learned, purchased or acquired - it can only be earned” "Pay It Forward"
c327
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Postby Karlsweldt » Fri Feb 12, 2016 6:08 am

A laptop or tablet battery should hold a full charge for maybe two weeks, unless it has had a lot of use (charge/discharge) and is past its half-way life point.
Best to disconnect the charger when the unit is not in use, unless wanting to ensure a fully charged battery. All of those chargers or power packs still draw power from the mains, even if not connected to a device.
Not just for the sake of saving energy, but the degradation of components over time also.
Risk of fire from them is very low, but they can overheat if not in free air flow.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Mr T » Sat Feb 13, 2016 10:28 am

Never had one pop on me.. The only laptop fire I had was caused by a cheap charger (original one went south after a cable break) and a bad battery - the charge controlling IC flamed and killed the motherboard!!! I now store minimal amount on any laptop... Save it to my NAS servers so I can access files from any pc, phone or tablet...
I have been programming on computers since the ZX81.
I am an apprentice trained Electronics Engineer with qualifications to back it up.
I have been repairing computers since 1996.
Yet to some people I still know nothing...
Mr T
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Return to General