Google Browser

All hardware or software issues that do not have a specific forum go here.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Google Browser

Postby c327 » Fri Jan 29, 2016 4:42 am

I have a new laptop running Windows 10 Pro x64. Google is installed as my default browser. I was checking the version of the Google browser installed and it shows 32 bit. The browser seems to run ok but I want to know if I should be using a 64 bit version if in fact one is available? Same thing with I.E.

Does the 64 bit version have any problems in using it. I am wondering if I made a mistake in setting up my home computer system as 64 bit ??
“Respect cannot be learned, purchased or acquired - it can only be earned” "Pay It Forward"
c327
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Re: Google Browser

Postby Mr T » Fri Jan 29, 2016 7:09 am

No it wont make a difference, in fact Google are ending support for the 32bit operating system soon... And no you certainly made no mistake by going 64bit - means support for more than 3.5Gbs of RAM, support for large hard drives, and support for large files (greater than 4Gb in size)... Internet Explorer is dead according to M$, they will end support for it soon, the interim browser is Edge unntil the next one... Check out other browsers too, FireFox ix ok, but if you want something light (like Chrome) try Opera, seamonkey, Midori and the like...
I have been programming on computers since the ZX81.
I am an apprentice trained Electronics Engineer with qualifications to back it up.
I have been repairing computers since 1996.
Yet to some people I still know nothing...
Mr T
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Postby c327 » Sat Jan 30, 2016 12:52 pm

Mr T wrote:No it wont make a difference, in fact Google are ending support for the 32bit operating system soon... And no you certainly made no mistake by going 64bit - means support for more than 3.5Gbs of RAM, support for large hard drives, and support for large files (greater than 4Gb in size)... Internet Explorer is dead according to M$, they will end support for it soon, the interim browser is Edge unntil the next one... Check out other browsers too, FireFox ix ok, but if you want something light (like Chrome) try Opera, seamonkey, Midori and the like...

I do not see a 64 bit version of Google for Windows 10 on Google'a website, just a beta version
“Respect cannot be learned, purchased or acquired - it can only be earned” "Pay It Forward"
c327
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Postby Karlsweldt » Sat Jan 30, 2016 4:24 pm

The Beta version is still undergoing 'tweaks' to be 100% compatible with the Windows 10 platform.
Alas, the latest Windows version for consumers is more aligned with 'tablet' or 'device' use.. not a home PC.
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insi ... 7be?auth=1
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby c327 » Sat Jan 30, 2016 4:59 pm

Karlsweldt wrote:The Beta version is still undergoing 'tweaks' to be 100% compatible with the Windows 10 platform.
Alas, the latest Windows version for consumers is more aligned with 'tablet' or 'device' use.. not a home PC.
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insi ... 7be?auth=1

OK thanks. I installed the beta version on this laptop and will try it. If I run into issues I will uninstall it and put the 32 bit version back in.
c327
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Return to General