Laptop Screen

All hardware or software issues that do not have a specific forum go here.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Laptop Screen

Postby c327 » Sat Jan 16, 2016 6:29 am

I sent my NEW Sager laptop back to Sager for the second time because of a color defect in the screen. It seems they no longer have a new original LCD LED gloss type screen to put in it and they want to put in a new IPS matt free upgrade screen ?? Just what kind of screen is this screen? Am I getting hosed here or what?

Thanks...........
“Respect cannot be learned, purchased or acquired - it can only be earned” "Pay It Forward"
c327
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Re: Laptop Screen

Postby Mr T » Sat Jan 16, 2016 11:16 am

IPS or In Plane Switching is the latest LED screen technology, the best quality being H-IPS (I assume for high quality)... The Matte screen wont give you glare in sunlight/bright light and should be less prone to showing up fingerprints.. So basically, you are getting the latest screen technology 'cos the other older tech is not on the shelf anymore.. I think you are getting a good deal here (bit like when my OCZ 850w 80+Silver died and after forking out for RMA postage got a 1000w 80+Gold)...
I have been programming on computers since the ZX81.
I am an apprentice trained Electronics Engineer with qualifications to back it up.
I have been repairing computers since 1996.
Yet to some people I still know nothing...
Mr T
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Postby c327 » Tue Jan 19, 2016 4:38 am

Mr T wrote:IPS or In Plane Switching is the latest LED screen technology, the best quality being H-IPS (I assume for high quality)... The Matte screen wont give you glare in sunlight/bright light and should be less prone to showing up fingerprints.. So basically, you are getting the latest screen technology 'cos the other older tech is not on the shelf anymore.. I think you are getting a good deal here (bit like when my OCZ 850w 80+Silver died and after forking out for RMA postage got a 1000w 80+Gold)...

Here's the latest. This laptop was expensive and is only 12 weeks old into a 3 year full factory warranty. Out of those 12 weeks I have been with out this laptop 7 weeks. The point is I happen to prefer the gloss type screen over the Matt regardless of what is better in the eyes of someone else.

The original display or the cabeling going to it is defective. On the first trip back to Sager they said they replaced the screen with another gloss screen. When I got it back it was worse than when I first sent it back. Now they said they replaced the screen with what they say is an updated IPS screen and it looks beautiful :lol: all without getting my approval since that IPS screen is not what I bought and paid for. Now I find out that it has been shipped back to me again with out my approval.

I now see an email from them telling me telling me that I can have this so called free upgrade at no cost or I can send it back for a refund but with a 15% restocking fee ($1800. Laptop) and was told "after talking to the boss that's the deal" a take it or leave it thingy. It is my opinion that Sager allegedly does not have or can get the original type screen and that is why they are doing what they are.

This is not a question of what is better, best or an upgrade for me, it's about doing what is right and what is expected of the seller to do under the full factory warranty they wrote and we both agreed to which I allege they breached.

This laptop like my other two laptops all have gloss type screens which are not used in an office type setting with overhead lights that would cause a lot of glare which I am fully aware of. These computers are used in a home setting where glare is not a problem. A gloss screen IMO is sharper and more robust in color than a matt type screen and that is why I bought that model in the first place and is why I want the same thing back and if they can't do that they should refund all of my money back and quick.

So now what do I do about it besides take this new subject to a different forum here?
“Respect cannot be learned, purchased or acquired - it can only be earned” "Pay It Forward"
c327
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Postby Mr T » Wed Jan 20, 2016 12:21 pm

If that is the offer(s) and you are not happy, you should get a full refund - no restocking fee, as the company has sold you a faulty product and it has not been sorted tou tour satisfaction.... It would be wise to consult some form of consumer advice company and see if they can help you if you don't get a full refund...
I have been programming on computers since the ZX81.
I am an apprentice trained Electronics Engineer with qualifications to back it up.
I have been repairing computers since 1996.
Yet to some people I still know nothing...
Mr T
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Postby c327 » Sun Jan 24, 2016 6:39 pm

Mr T wrote:If that is the offer(s) and you are not happy, you should get a full refund - no restocking fee, as the company has sold you a faulty product and it has not been sorted tou tour satisfaction.... It would be wise to consult some form of consumer advice company and see if they can help you if you don't get a full refund...

To be very honest, not a prude by any stretch of the word nor am I one sandwich short of a picnic. But I am shocked by the way Sager computer has treated me especially since I am a return customer. It seems that Sager does not have the parts to replace the ones needed to correct these issues and they are allegedly playing me for a fool. It is now apparent to me that the problem with Sager Computer starts right from the top of the company Mr. Tony Yuan. I have written him twice by certified mail and never received a reply from him. Tomorrow I will be filing an official complaint against them with the California Better Business Bureau. I will also be contacting the State Attorney regarding Sager telling me they did repairs by replacing the MOBO when according to my software I ran tells me they did not. There may be consumer laws that govern that false repair.

I have lost all trust in Sager Computer and will never buy another thing from them. If they will do to me what they did there is no doubt they can do the same to someone else.

I got the PC back with the so called new IPS matt screen. The screen does not change color like the original screen did. The colored white text is no longer there. I do not like the matt screen as used in my home environment where glare is not a problem. What still is bothersome is that the white background still has a pinkish hue to it like it did from the very first day. I tried to adjust it out but it goes right back to where it was as soon as I click off that page and then return.

This laptop has both on board graphics plus an internal graphics adapter. I was wondering since the on board graphics runs most of the time during low graphics demand if there is a problem with the MOBO or a setting some place I don't know about? One thing I do know is that I will not send this PC back to Sager to be repaired again. If it goes back it goes back for a full refund which at this point looks like it won"t happen.
c327
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Return to General