mouse actions

All hardware or software issues that do not have a specific forum go here.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

mouse actions

Postby old in arizona » Sat Jan 02, 2016 1:53 pm

I have suddenly lost the magnify function of the second button on the side of my mouse.

Mouse - Microsoft intellimouse explorer 2.0 also model 1007

Windows 10 64 bit

The mouse has a right and left button and a wheel. These work as they always have - left for click, right for options, wheel for scroll, both up and down and right and left. There are two thumb buttons on the left side. The one to the rear is the back button, and works just like it always has. The button in front of it, until a bit ago (month, maybe?) would toggle the magnify screen option on and off. All of the sudden, this toggle function just stopped.

I looked in the mouse settings, and can't find anything that recognizes the second thumb button so I could add a "what do you want this button to do" to it. There is plenty in the ease of use area that explains the magnify function, but I can't see any way to assign these to the mouse. The mouse control panel lets you set the left and right finger buttons and the wheel, but not the back thumb button or the other thumb button.

I looked at microsoft's site, thinking there might be a missing driver, but the only options I see are for windows 7 and before, and when I try to use these, I get a message about how the download is lower than the current driver, and the new stuff won't install.

I installed windows 10 when it became available for free, and the mouse worked just fine under windows 10, but not any more. I'd like to get the mouse button function back on the mouse, not with three-key-shortcuts.

Suggestions?

S Moore
old in arizona
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Re: mouse actions

Postby rascard2007 » Mon Jan 04, 2016 7:35 am

check in control panel => administrative tools => services if the "Human Interface Device Access" is available and if it is started, it is necesary to devices with special buttons and fuctions to work
"I have only come here seeking knowledge,
Things they would not teach me of in college"
-Wrapped Around Your Fingers-
-The Police-
rascard2007
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby Karlsweldt » Mon Jan 04, 2016 4:39 pm

Someone else has a similar problem, and posted on the MS technet forum.. https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Fo ... rohardware
Link to a diagnostics test there. And driver issues.
If a wired mouse, may be a broken data lead in the "tail". If a wireless model, could be interference from another nearby device such as a cell phone, microwave, or TV remote. They may share the same frequency band.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby old in arizona » Tue Jan 05, 2016 1:41 pm

rascard - looked in the control panel where you said, got a list of admin tools, looked in services for the human device interface thing. it's status is running, but it's start was manual. I changed this to automatic, I'll see if it helps.

Karlsweldt - read the article, and it applied to windows 8. However, it did talk about the driver, and the author had success going to a back-level driver. I don't think the mouse driver area is so freaking complex that a down-level driver would hose my system, but when I went to the suggested page for the older driver, it lets you download some tech/spec pdfs, doesn't have a download for the driver, and in the operating system list doesn't have windows 10. Where the heck to I get this older driver?
old in arizona
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby Karlsweldt » Tue Jan 05, 2016 4:27 pm

Possibly Windows did its "thing" and upgraded a driver that is not as good as the older one. If the mouse worked fine before and not now, check the 'properties' and 'driver' tabs for the mouse. Should be a tab for 'roll back driver'.
Windows has a nasty habit of wanting every feature enhanced to the max.. even if it doesn't work right!!
Some links I found that may be helpful.. Yes, older Win versions.. but maybe get lucky.
http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/en-us ... plorer-2.0
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/258785
https://www.microsoft.com/hardware/en-us/downloads
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby old in arizona » Fri Jan 15, 2016 11:02 am

Karlsweldt,

Properties didn't have a rollback option. Looked for old driver, but it wouldn't let me install because it said a new version was already installed. The mouse type was listed as unknown in the mouse properties area, because, according to the statement there, "windows couldn't figure out the specifics of a wireless or USB attached mouse." I can't find any information in the microsoft web site world that helps me address the mouse type, even though it's (printed on the freaking mouse itself) a "wireless intelliMouse Explorer 2.0" model 1007. I looked through the offerings for new devices from microsoft, and there doesn't appear to be a current mouse offering with two buttons for the thumb. The windows workaround is to use the start key and + to make the magnify process work, the start key and esc to turn it off, and these actually work fine, so the function is there, but I don't have any way to associate it with the forward-located thumb button on the mouse. Currently, that button doesn't do anything. I also tried going down the path of "how do you assign a macro to a mouse button" but that stopped at windows 8 and there doesn't appear to be anything comparable in windows 10.

This has gone from "why doesn't my mouse work like it used to" to "this pisses me off, even if it seems like a quest for the holy grail." I can't even find a place to send a message to microsoft, or a microsoft company forum where I can do what I'm doing here to get a totally official answer from microsoft, even if the answer is "tough toenails, it doesn't work any more, bugger off."

Ideas?
old in arizona
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby Karlsweldt » Fri Jan 15, 2016 4:30 pm

Maybe by uninstalling the present driver, then installing an older one, may solve the issue.
Might be a good driver at this site.. choose your OS version and type.
http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/en-us ... plorer-2.0
Driver Guide notes they also have a driver..
http://www.driverguide.com/driver/detai ... rid=859410
Other sites list a driver, but may not be malware free as from an authentic source.
Is the model also known as " Microsft X11-30036"? Try the MS update site for drivers listed as "other".
But here is a catch-22 scenario: More than 6 years old or so, may be considered as obsolete or not compatible to Win 10x64.
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Return to General