Adding Memory To Desktop MOBO

All hardware or software issues that do not have a specific forum go here.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Adding Memory To Desktop MOBO

Postby c327 » Sat Jan 02, 2016 9:39 am

This concerns adding memory to an Intel DP55KG mobo (6 Years old) but still good so far. Just starting my research in whether or not to proceed in updating my 6 year old Intel based Desktop to Windows 10 pro x64 vs a complete rebuild. The current CPU is Intel i7 860 2.8 socket 1156.

Current memory is Crucial 2 X 2GB (Kit) 240 pin DIMM DDR3 PC3 10600. I want to increase the memory by adding memory to the two remaining vacant slots, can I do that? Also if I add memory does it have to be 2GB in size to match what is already there?

Would it be better if I just bought 2 sticks of better and larger modules from Crucial? Can the size be mixed like 2 X 2GB & 2 X4GB. This MOBO can take up to 16GB which I don't need. Probably 8 GB total would be fine for what I use it for. Does the DIMMS have to be for 64 bit?

The MOBO and CPU is supposed to be 64 bit compatible. MOBO no longer produced or supported by Intel.
“Respect cannot be learned, purchased or acquired - it can only be earned” "Pay It Forward"
c327
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Re: Adding Memory To Desktop MOBO

Postby Mr T » Sat Jan 02, 2016 9:51 am

You would be better of getting two sticks of 4Gb, or two sticks of 8Gb and ditch the 2x2Gb.. Windows 10 will still run fine on 4Gb though...
I have been programming on computers since the ZX81.
I am an apprentice trained Electronics Engineer with qualifications to back it up.
I have been repairing computers since 1996.
Yet to some people I still know nothing...
Mr T
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Postby c327 » Sat Jan 02, 2016 11:02 am

Mr T wrote:You would be better of getting two sticks of 4Gb, or two sticks of 8Gb and ditch the 2x2Gb.. Windows 10 will still run fine on 4Gb though...
would the 4gb be at the minimum required? If I bought new memory 2X something would I benefit by getting a different speed? When it comes to this memory does it make a difference if its 32 bit or 64 bit?

My current video card is a Sapphire HD4870 1GB GDDR5 PCIE-16 as used in a 32 bit desktop. I mentioned that I will be switching to 64 bit Windows O.S. and I think you suggestion I replace the video card is that correct? I see that there are both 32 bit and 64 bit drivers but not certain if they are for the same card? If I changed the video card what would be better than what I have that would justify the cost $$$$$

Thanks
“Respect cannot be learned, purchased or acquired - it can only be earned” "Pay It Forward"
c327
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Postby Karlsweldt » Sat Jan 02, 2016 4:44 pm

Three key elements needed for a 64-bit compatible system.. #1, the motherboard chipsets. #2, the CPU. #3, the feature drivers. Any other feature such as a hard drive, memory or other device cards (video, network, Wifi,) are compliant either way.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Mr T » Sun Jan 03, 2016 2:38 am

RAM is one of those things that may or may not make a huge difference depending on the use of the computer... If you just use it to surf the web, watch the odd youtube video, play solitaire and not much else, you don't need a great deal of RAM.. If you are running a server with a media player (like PLEX) with family using it to watch films from, upload stuff too, more RAM is benificial.... However if you want to play games (I am talking the Call of Duty type), or edit videos, CAD and that kind of stuff, a large amount of RAM is a must...

For win7, win8 and win10 64Bit the sweet spot for RAM is from 4~8Gb, but that is depenedent on what you are using the PC for.. RAM at this stage is not dependent on 32bit or 64bit - BUT, your operating system does have limitations - 32bit Operating systems wont see RAM over 4Gb - this is a limitation - wheras a 64bit operating system will.

With the video card, the limitation is the operating system drivers - the HD4870 is an old card, there is a limitation on driver support (especially in Linux) but it should work... For a video card as old as that I would replace, but that is me as I have hit limitations with support on certain older cards (ie laptop 8600GS(no support under win7 which caused blu ray playback issues), HD4850's(the ATI driver would not support a matched pair in crossfire under windows 8), nvidia GT 240 and 250 (windows 7 gaming issues - Minecraft rendering) and so on)... look at what you are going to use the system for and try it and see ...
Install windows 10 if all works and it does what you require, don't bother upgrading.. However if you get screen tearing, slowness etc, maybe thwn look at the hardware upgrade..

I have windows 10 pro 64bit running fine on my video editing machine which is an overclocked Q6600 with 4Gb's of DDR2-800 - works for me.
I have been programming on computers since the ZX81.
I am an apprentice trained Electronics Engineer with qualifications to back it up.
I have been repairing computers since 1996.
Yet to some people I still know nothing...
Mr T
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Postby Toby B. » Fri Jan 08, 2016 8:10 am

another choking point, that I recently experienced with regards to Windows10 Pro install on my HP.

Although I have 8GB of DDR3 10600 (IIRC), the hard drive is only a 6400RPM drive. So my recommendation, more and faster speed RAM is a plus.. Also an upgrade to a faster RPM hard drive, all depending on your setup of coarse..
Toby B.
Lead Mobo-fu Master
Lead Mobo-fu Master

Postby rascard2007 » Fri Jan 08, 2016 12:58 pm

As in any other process the visible speed of the whole process is roughly the speed of the lowest one, so

if u plain use soft that need a huge amount of CPU the go for the fastest CPU u can afford

if do a lot of read/write operations in the HDD go for the on with the highest RPM

If it uses a lot of RAM above the amount of RAM that OS uses go for the greatest ur OS support and the fastest the bus of ur mobo allow

always is better to think in what soft U will use before buying any hardware to get the best overall equilibirum performance
"I have only come here seeking knowledge,
Things they would not teach me of in college"
-Wrapped Around Your Fingers-
-The Police-
rascard2007
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby evasive » Tue Feb 09, 2016 4:37 pm

http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/compatibl ... tel/dp55kg

get 2x 4GB sticks and add those in the open slots for a total of 12GB which will be fine for 64bit windows.
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Return to General