Convert from POP to IMAP using current Outlook contents?

All hardware or software issues that do not have a specific forum go here.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Convert from POP to IMAP using current Outlook contents?

Postby scruffy » Sat Dec 12, 2015 8:22 pm

I'd like to accomplish something with my Microsoft Outlook and I need some help understanding whether it's possible, and if so, how.

The bottom line is that I like having a copy of all my email on my local drive. Don't ask why...I just like being able to search through old emails even if I don't have internet connectivity.

I created a POP account on Outlook for my email over ten years ago. Since then, I've downloaded thousands of emails...and deleted even more. I've also organized my emails into folders. The Outlook organization and content is just what I want.

At the time I set up my Outlook, my email provider didn't support IMAP. Now they do.

I'd really like the email server to be synchronized with my Outlook file as it currently...and to maintain that synchronization from this point forward. That way, when I check my mail from my smartphone--which does use IMAP--the email will show up just as it does on my laptop. (But I don't need all the emails downloaded to my smartphone...just my laptop.)

Can IMAP do this...or am I misunderstanding how IMAP works? Can I convert to using Outlook with IMAP, using my current Outlook file--whose contents are preferred to what's on the email server--as a "base"?

Any insight you can provide is much appreciated.

Thanks.
scruffy
Green Belt
Green Belt

Re: Convert from POP to IMAP using current Outlook contents?

Postby evasive » Sun Dec 13, 2015 1:56 am

Ensure thunderbird computer can't connect to IMAP server (turn off wifi/pull the LAN cable). You don't want to Thunderbird synchronize itself with outdated backup.
Run Thunderbird.
While offline, copy new email from IMAP account in Thunderbird to Thunderbird Local Folder. It will backup the email to your computer.
Connect thunderbird to IMAP server. Let Thunderbird delete new messages because message doesn't exist in IMAP server.
Copy email from Thunderbird Local Folder to IMAP account. Restoring our backup then let Thunderbird synchronize itself again but with new email.

So now we have to find out how Outlook is doing this. But it sounds to me as if you copy the contents of a local folder to the IMAP structure, it will synchronize things to the server. Is there any chance of asking your ISP if they support this and if they may have how-to documentation?
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby scruffy » Sun Dec 13, 2015 3:41 pm

Evasive, thank you for taking the time to respond. I'm not sure I completely understand.

It looks like you're showing some documentation about Thunderbird being able to do this...and asking how Outlook can do the same thing?

When you say

if you copy the contents of a local folder to the IMAP structure...

are you referring to some way of manually copying what's in my Outlook file (e.g., folders and their contents) back up to the server? As I said before, I'm not very knowledgeable about IMAP, so forgive me if I need some additional explanation.

The ISP I use is very large, and not known for their customer service, but I may be able to break through and reach someone. Can you provide me with the specific question I should ask them?

Thanks again for your assistance!
scruffy
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby rascard2007 » Mon Dec 14, 2015 8:36 am

I´m not an expert in IMAP, but this site seems to provide a lot of help on that

https://www.godaddy.com/help/setting-up ... -imap-4714
"I have only come here seeking knowledge,
Things they would not teach me of in college"
-Wrapped Around Your Fingers-
-The Police-
rascard2007
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby scruffy » Mon Dec 14, 2015 6:31 pm

Thanks for the link, rascard2007. It has information on setting up IMAP...perhaps I can find some information on converting form POP3 to IMAP.
scruffy
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby rascard2007 » Tue Dec 15, 2015 7:16 am

-The Police-
rascard2007
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby scruffy » Wed Dec 16, 2015 3:27 pm

Thanks, Rascard2007...this information is very helpful.
scruffy
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby rascard2007 » Thu Dec 17, 2015 7:37 am

it´s my pleasure, just let us konw if U succeed
-The Police-
rascard2007
Black Belt
Black Belt

Return to General