Laptop Graphics adjustments

All hardware or software issues that do not have a specific forum go here.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Laptop Graphics adjustments

Postby c327 » Fri Dec 04, 2015 5:43 pm

This concerns graphics adjustments on a laptop with an internal graphics adaptor running Windows 10 x64.

1) The Gamma adjustment is produced from where? a) The graphics adaptor. b) The operating system. c) Some place else in the computer and if so where.

2) An indication of the Gamma being adjusted correctly is when the center dot is no longer visible, not even slightly, is that correct.

3) The 3 color adjustment sliders, red blue and green are all in the full right position in order to make the colors in the display look good. Would that be the normal or expected position the sliders would be on a new laptop?

4) Is the normal color of the white background supposed to be a bright true white or a little off white in color?

Thanks all
“Respect cannot be learned, purchased or acquired - it can only be earned” "Pay It Forward"
c327
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Re: Laptop Graphics adjustments

Postby Karlsweldt » Sat Dec 05, 2015 6:33 am

We perceive images and colors in a non-linear fashion, in a three-dimensional world. For images viewed in only two dimensions on a movie screen or monitor, gamma correction makes the viewing more realistic and pleasant.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gamma_correction
There should be an icon in the SysTray box for video settings, or in the 'start' menu or an icon on the desktop.. or an app link, and also from the Control Panel.
Not all people view the same image with the same pleasure. So adjustments can be made for personal wants.
As for color balance, the three color sliders should be dead center, for best overall viewing.
Windows itself wants to optimize every feature, sometimes even if it is not a good result. But it uses program instructions as provided by the device manufacturer.
There are hundreds of "white" shades.. depending on ambient light, screen brightness and color contrasts. Our eyes may be fooled a bit with some colors that affect true white portions. For the best white shade, compare to a new sheet of print paper.
There is a difference in 'true white' between a CRT, an LCD and LED screen with the same settings. The backlight has to be in a certain range on the Kelvin scale.
You could use a color test screen to set viewing to your personal needs.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby c327 » Sat Dec 05, 2015 10:52 am

Karlsweldt wrote:We perceive images and colors in a non-linear fashion, in a three-dimensional world. For images viewed in only two dimensions on a movie screen or monitor, gamma correction makes the viewing more realistic and pleasant.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gamma_correction
There should be an icon in the SysTray box for video settings, or in the 'start' menu or an icon on the desktop.. or an app link, and also from the Control Panel.
Not all people view the same image with the same pleasure. So adjustments can be made for personal wants.
As for color balance, the three color sliders should be dead center, for best overall viewing.
Windows itself wants to optimize every feature, sometimes even if it is not a good result. But it uses program instructions as provided by the device manufacturer.
There are hundreds of "white" shades.. depending on ambient light, screen brightness and color contrasts. Our eyes may be fooled a bit with some colors that affect true white portions. For the best white shade, compare to a new sheet of print paper.
There is a difference in 'true white' between a CRT, an LCD and LED screen with the same settings. The back light has to be in a certain range on the Kelvin scale.
You could use a color test screen to set viewing to your personal needs.

I rechecked the three color settings and found them back at full right after I had adjusted them. Every time I set the sliders to get the color as best as I can and close off the page and the return to it I find the sliders back at full right. These sliders will not stay where I put them. I put all three sliders in the middle and adjusted the color and after I closed off and returned back they were all at full right. The pinkish hue is hurting my eyes to the point that I don't want to use this brand new laptop.

I have contacted Sager and I am waiting for a reply.
“Respect cannot be learned, purchased or acquired - it can only be earned” "Pay It Forward"
c327
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Postby Karlsweldt » Sat Dec 05, 2015 4:33 pm

Possibly a 'theme' of some sort has been set, other than default. Likely there are choices as to 'warm', 'cool', and 'soft' visual themes. You may have to set a new personal theme as default.
There should be a box to click on, for "apply", "accept", "set" or similar, then close the window with "OK".
Hopefully, that laptop was totally new from the factory, and not a display model that had a lot of twiddle fingers on it!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby c327 » Sun Dec 06, 2015 5:48 am

Karlsweldt wrote:Possibly a 'theme' of some sort has been set, other than default. Likely there are choices as to 'warm', 'cool', and 'soft' visual themes. You may have to set a new personal theme as default.
There should be a box to click on, for "apply", "accept", "set" or similar, then close the window with "OK".
Hopefully, that laptop was totally new from the factory, and not a display model that had a lot of twiddle fingers on it!

The PC in question was purchased directly from Sager Computer as new. Sager is not a box store computer seller that has a store front to the best of my knowledge. As far as the color settings go there is no apply ok buttons to click. Having a custom default theme possibly, I never considered that possibility but I will look into it.

Something else I haven't mentioned that I question. When the PC's lid is moved all the way back the display color changes redish and as the lid is closed the color of the display changes greenish. The angle of view on this display is very poor and if I am not looking at it dead center the color and quality of the display goes off. I am wondering if this is normal for a led back lit display?
c327
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Postby Karlsweldt » Sun Dec 06, 2015 6:10 am

True, not many stores showcase the Sager laptops. It is a higher-quality custom product.
I would get in contact with Sager. There is something not right with the unit. Your note about the color changes as the lid is fully opened or closed may be a normal condition, due to angular viewing. But may also be a faulty lid hinge ribbon problem.
Possibly a corrupt video driver?
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby c327 » Sun Dec 06, 2015 7:22 am

Karlsweldt wrote:True, not many stores showcase the Sager laptops. It is a higher-quality custom product.
I would get in contact with Sager. There is something not right with the unit. Your note about the color changes as the lid is fully opened or closed may be a normal condition, due to angular viewing. But may also be a faulty lid hinge ribbon problem.
Possibly a corrupt video driver?

I do not see any custom default color settings. I looked on the Display Adapter Properties page and see the Intel (R) Graphics 4600 adapter listed but when I checked the Device Manager I see two graphics adapters listed. One is the Intel 4600 and the other is NVIDIA GeForce GTX 950M which this PC is supposed to have and that Belarc Advisor utility confirms. Why doesn't the NVIDIA adapter show up on the Display Adapter Properties page ???
c327
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Postby Karlsweldt » Sun Dec 06, 2015 4:09 pm

That there are two graphics devices listed, you have conflicts. The Intel 4600 graphics system is for 'normal' video and the GTX950 is for more involved or 'intense' video. The latter uses a lot more power and is not always active.
You need to have the drivers installed for both graphics systems.
This link may be of help.. http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id- ... x760m.html
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby c327 » Mon Dec 07, 2015 12:23 pm

Karlsweldt wrote:That there are two graphics devices listed, you have conflicts. The Intel 4600 graphics system is for 'normal' video and the GTX950 is for more involved or 'intense' video. The latter uses a lot more power and is not always active.
You need to have the drivers installed for both graphics systems.
This link may be of help.. http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id- ... x760m.html

OK I read the link thank you. So according to that article I need both graphics adapters, one for normal use and the other for demanding graphics use and that they switch back and forth, is that correct ?

PS Sager contacted me and they say send the PC back for checking etc.
c327
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Postby Karlsweldt » Mon Dec 07, 2015 3:55 pm

Quote from that link..
Your laptop will automatically switch between graphic devices as necessary to provide the performance you need..

Depending on program needs, the OS will be told which video system to utilize.
High-quality streaming video, gaming, the GTX950 is active. For other normal needs, the integrated Intel 4600.
As also noted in the link, check the DX Diag listing to ensure both are associated.
Found several links detailing the setup, but the one posted was easier to digest.
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Return to General