Color Of LED Display

All hardware or software issues that do not have a specific forum go here.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Color Of LED Display

Postby c327 » Wed Dec 02, 2015 7:03 am

I have been using two new LED back lighted display laptops. One is a relatively inexpensive box store bought HP laptop (the wife's) running Windows 10 X64 Home Intel i5 5400 rpm HDD and a pretty expensive Sager laptop running Windows 10 X64 Pro Intel i7 SSD and after getting a little experience in using Windows 10 and going through all the settings and making adjustments here and there after all was done I find myself a little disappointed in the quality of the color of the display of both of them. Both have glossy displays which I like. They do not look robust in color like my Apple iPad with the white color having a little pinkish hue to it?

Both laptops have the best display offered as an option and I noticed that the whites have a slight pinkish hue to both of them, just a little off and not white white if you know what I mean. One has on board graphics and the other has graphics card. I made checks and made adjustments where ever I could and got the color the best I could.

I also noticed that both PC's have a poor angle of view and was wondering if this and the color issue is something all LED displays have?

Any ideas or suggestions about this ?????
“Respect cannot be learned, purchased or acquired - it can only be earned” "Pay It Forward"
c327
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Re: Color Of LED Display

Postby Roach412 » Wed Dec 02, 2015 11:05 am

c327 wrote:...after getting a little experience in using Windows 10 and going through all the settings and making adjustments here and there after all was done I find myself a little disappointed in the quality of the color of the display of both of them. Both have glossy displays which I like. They do not look robust in color like my Apple iPad with the white color having a little pinkish hue to it?

Both laptops have the best display offered as an option and I noticed that the whites have a slight pinkish hue to both of them, just a little off and not white white if you know what I mean. One has on board graphics and the other has graphics card. I made checks and made adjustments where ever I could and got the color the best I could.

I also noticed that both PC's have a poor angle of view and was wondering if this and the color issue is something all LED displays have?

LCDs are, generally, just LCDs - whether LED or not is just determining the backlighting element. only OLEDs are really independently illuminated.
that being said, most LCDs have poor viewing angles - even really expensive ones. I have a Dell Ultrasharp, that I spent a pretty penny on, which if I move my head off-center by 10-12 inches, it gets poor pretty quick.

the color reproduction is more determined by color calibration, which would have been done out of the factory. there's a chance that your monitor(s) are simply badly calibrated, and no amount of fiddling with options will sufficiently fix it. my Ultrasharp came with a color calibration chart showing it's modifications previous to leaving the factory - high-end displays will do this, but the vast majority will not. you can, however, calibrate your monitor yourself...but, to do it correctly will require tools and software...most likely not something you'd be interested in acquiring for just this.

there are calibration tools from multiple other sources that can help, they won't be as "complete" but may provide you with enough to satisfy your color issues.
-Roach
Lian Li Lancool First Knight Series PC-K59W
Intel Core i7-960 Bloomfield 3.2GHz
EVGA X58 FTW3 132-GT-E768-TR
EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 FTW GAMING ACX 3.0
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 12GB (3 x 4GB)
Crucial M4 128gb SATAIII SSD x2
Crucial M4 256gb SATAIII SSD
OCZ Saber 1000 960GB Enterprise SSD
Corsair Professional Series HX850 PSU
Dell UltraSharp U2713HM 27" w/drop ceiling mount
Logitech G930 7.1 Headset
DBPOWER RGB LED Keyboard
Logitech G402 Hyperion Fury
Roach412
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Postby Karlsweldt » Wed Dec 02, 2015 5:02 pm

While an LED or LCD screen is safer to be close to, and has longer life, the construction of the color pixels is that each is set in a type of honeycomb, and there is some free space at the viewing end. That is the reason you have a limited field of vision, maybe 15 degrees off direct line of sight before the image degrades. OLED type screens are not much better as to angular viewing. An LED screen uses active LEDs as each desired color pixel. LCD screens use magnetic particles that arrange as needed to pass or block light through a colored filter.
The older CRT had phosphors behind a glass window, and viewing angle could be more than 30 degrees with little degrading.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby c327 » Fri Dec 25, 2015 11:15 am

Here is the latest:

After going back and forth with Sager with no success in them doing anything about correcting the problem I wrote the President of Sager Mr. Tony Yuan who never got back to me personally but one of his so called supervisors did and told me to return the laptop back to them, they paid the shipping. Yesterday after about 10 days I got the laptop back. I booted it up and noticed that the white text under the icons on the desktop had a mixture of red and blue in the white text. I emailed Sager and asked them what they did to the pC and was told that they changed the screen, the mobo and the cable.

I took another Belarc computer profile summary and compared it to the one I took before I sent it back and it shows the original mobo still in the PC, they lied. The PC never had the different colors in the white text or fonts before. The display resolution is set to the correct native so it all should be the best it could be. Also when the lid is moved back and forth mainly from straight up to partially tilted down the colors change. The dark colors change to light and the light colors change to dark same as it did before I sent it back. I took a video of this plus a couple of still photos.

I just emailed there support manager and told them to either fix it or refund my $1800. I told them my wife's $400 HP Pavilion looks better than this Sager NP 6659 (Clevo). I checked around 8 laptops at Bestbuy including my wifes new HP and my old Sager laptop and none of them have this issue with the lid changing the color. My guess is they know exactly what is wrong but don't want to repair it or can't. I ran an LCD display test and the display does not have any dead or stuck pixels of any color. I also am not able to adjust the gamma settings to where they are supposed to be.

Any idea of what is causing the text color not being one solid color? Oh I did notice that the color does not change if the lid is moved left to right, just up and down.

Note:
Now I don't know if what I am about to say is correct but I think I read some place that the color arrangement like RBG has to be seen by the O.S. RBG and if say it sees BRG something different there will be a problem with the display, now thats heavy for me and probably is wrong ????? :o

Note:
If I change the size of the text from 9 (default) to size 11 the text color issue is not there. I did not change the screen resolution it stayed the same (native). This text color issue was not there before I sent it away.

Note:
The image here was taken with my digital camera not good I know but it does show what I am talking about.

No longer have the same feeling towards Sager that I once did. I know things happen but they are making it apparent I have to chase them. Reminds me of a long time ago deal with Dell.

Merry Christmas all
“Respect cannot be learned, purchased or acquired - it can only be earned” "Pay It Forward"
c327
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Postby Karlsweldt » Fri Dec 25, 2015 4:50 pm

With LED or LCD screens, you get a true white color when all three elements (R-G-B) are properly illuminated. Similar to a CRT display. The color balance has to be 'neutral' for a pure white (paper or egg white range) display. LED displays are the light source themselves. LCD displays use polarized filters and a back panel light for illumination.
Some of the elements may be activated out of balance, being subject to stray cross currents, and have different luminance.
Or are not in the correct DPI range for proper color. Any DPI range over .30 equates to a coarse image. Around .25, very crisp.
The R-G-B configuration is a standards rule. All programming and controls must adhere to the standard.
As to color changes when the lid is tilted, try the opposite.. keep the lid in the same plane, tilt the base unit to see if the same effect is had. If so, the unit is defective. If no noted color change, it was due to viewing at greater than optimal angle.
Does that model have touch-screen capability? If so, there is another thin membrane over the basic front panel. Off-axis viewing will be less than if at 90°.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby c327 » Sat Dec 26, 2015 6:18 am

Karlsweldt wrote:With LED or LCD screens, you get a true white color when all three elements (R-G-B) are properly illuminated. Similar to a CRT display. The color balance has to be 'neutral' for a pure white (paper or egg white range) display. LED displays are the light source themselves. LCD displays use polarized filters and a back panel light for illumination.
Some of the elements may be activated out of balance, being subject to stray cross currents, and have different luminance.
Or are not in the correct DPI range for proper color. Any DPI range over .30 equates to a coarse image. Around .25, very crisp.
The R-G-B configuration is a standards rule. All programming and controls must adhere to the standard.
As to color changes when the lid is tilted, try the opposite.. keep the lid in the same plane, tilt the base unit to see if the same effect is had. If so, the unit is defective. If no noted color change, it was due to viewing at greater than optimal angle.
Does that model have touch-screen capability? If so, there is another thin membrane over the basic front panel. Off-axis viewing will be less than if at 90°.

This model does not have a touch display. With the lid straight up and I swing the complete laptop left or right the color does not change.

a) The color changes when the lid is rotated forward and backward on the hinge.
b) The color changes if I rotate the entire laptop forward and backward.
c) The color does not change if I swing the entire laptop left or right from the center viewing position.
c327
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Postby Mr T » Sat Dec 26, 2015 6:45 am

Looks like a loose or pinched cable to me...
I have been programming on computers since the ZX81.
I am an apprentice trained Electronics Engineer with qualifications to back it up.
I have been repairing computers since 1996.
Yet to some people I still know nothing...
Mr T
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Postby c327 » Sat Dec 26, 2015 3:01 pm

Mr T wrote:Looks like a loose or pinched cable to me...

Hey Mr. T
Merry Christmas or Happy Hanukkah which ever is appropriate to you and all here on these forums and Happy New Year

Well I just got it back from Sager in California 2 days ago. They say they changed the mobo, the screen and cable. I Ran Belarc Advisor before I sent it and after I got it back and it shows the same original mobo and the original date it was first installed, they lied, now I don't trust them. I think this model laptop has a known issue with the LCD LED display as I do think I remember reading something about a few other people having similar issues with the display.

Also I am unable to get a decent gamma adjustment. This laptop has both on board video plus an internal graphics adapter that Karl explained to me how it worked by switching back and forth based on graphics demand.

The PC didn't have the colored text when I sent it but it had it when I got it back?

MY guess is one of two things ????

1) They know what is wrong but don't want to fix it $$$$.
2) They know what is wrong but can't fix it because they don't have the parts.

This PC has been discontinued but wasn't when I bought it back in August. Have 3 year full warranty on it. I already told them either fix it or I want a full refund. In The past I have had both good service from Sager and a good product. This just isn't like them. I did send a certified letter to the Pres. of Sager when their Tech support started giving me the run around. Right after that I got an email from their service manager telling me to send it back for repair plus they sent me postage to send it, now this. I will wait until Tuesday morning before I call the dogs out.
c327
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Postby Mr T » Mon Dec 28, 2015 12:09 am

Have you tried connecting it to an external monitor? (I hope you had a good Christmas..)
I have been programming on computers since the ZX81.
I am an apprentice trained Electronics Engineer with qualifications to back it up.
I have been repairing computers since 1996.
Yet to some people I still know nothing...
Mr T
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Postby c327 » Tue Dec 29, 2015 5:55 pm

Mr T wrote:Have you tried connecting it to an external monitor? (I hope you had a good Christmas..)

No I have not. Great suggestion never thought of that. Process of elimination. Will do that tomorrow. Yes good Christmas for us but different. Kids all grown and gone there own way. Brought some presents to 3 marine vets with no legs etc. IED's from Iraq. Kind of reminds us of how fragile life is. Thank you.
c327
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Next

Return to General