Re-building an old rig

All hardware or software issues that do not have a specific forum go here.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Re-building an old rig

Postby rascard2007 » Mon Nov 16, 2015 7:18 am

OK, I´m trying to put together, again, my socket 478 Rig, the components are:

Aopen AX4BS-V ATX size MOBO
3 x Kingston 256 MB PC 133 DIM SDRAM
XFX nVidia 6200 4X/8X AGP 256 MB VGA Card
HDD Maxtor 80GB

I had this setup working some time ago with windows XP, the audio on board was gone and I discard it. Now I got another AX4BS-V board and Im trying to put all things together again. win XP SP3 installs OK but when I install the video drivers that comes in the installation disk of the VGA card the system goes trough the first windows screen (the one with the moving blue indicator in the bottom) then the screen goes OFF and after a couple of minutes I got a BSOD telling that the NV4_disp went into an infinite loop and has to abort.

I´m able to go into windows by pressing F8 at the boot time and selecting enable VGA mode in the OS options, windows starts in 640x480 8 bits color mode and any change in resolution or in color depth ends in a screen beauty filled with extrange characters (any different setting I try to change ends in a different screen filling!)

Any idea?

let me repeat that all this things were working together in another exact board
"I have only come here seeking knowledge,
Things they would not teach me of in college"
-Wrapped Around Your Fingers-
-The Police-
rascard2007
Black Belt
Black Belt

Re: Re-building an old rig

Postby Karlsweldt » Mon Nov 16, 2015 7:36 am

If the boards were identical in all components, but not that far apart in BIOS dates, should be no problems.
But look over all the caps on the board and the video card. Any that show domed tops, excess lean or leakage.. BAD CAPS!
Ensure the BIOS page for video has the AGP as first option, and that the video aperture (if any) is at 256 megs or less for use with video card.
Are all the memory modules identical? If not, slowest one as first detected. And memory speed set with SPD.
Set the monitor and hard drive to never shut down or 'sleep'.
From your note about going higher than base VGA mode and getting a "confetti" screen indicates a possible bad GPU on that video card.. or it has other problems. If BFG, they had some bad production runs in their last year.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby rascard2007 » Mon Nov 16, 2015 8:29 am

Thanks, I will check. I tried win 2k SP4 also. here everything goes well, VGA drivers installed OK, but the i try to install the chipset drivers and when i reboot it went to a corrupted screen also, now a picasso version of the win2k boot screen (the one with a white back ground). I did a fresh install again and it works, as far as I don´t install the chipset drivers.

the problem here is that I installed a Flyvideo 2000 FM TV card and when i open the TV i got the following message:

"preview stream couldn´t be rendered (overlay)"

I press the OK button and TV opens in 640 x 480 windows size but when I try to resize windows to a bigger size the video shows in slow motion or stops each two seconds to start again.

I want to know what are the latest versions of the following software that runs in WIn 2k:

Adobe flash player
dot net framework
direct X
Ms VC++
-The Police-
rascard2007
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby Karlsweldt » Mon Nov 16, 2015 4:19 pm

Chipset drivers are specific to the chipset model and version. And to the OS version. Should be sub-folders for each OS version, on the driver disk. But some were cross-field or universal.
Do a check on the IRQ/DMA assignments from the Control Panel/System icon. There is a tab to view by device, assignment and connection. Start with the 'view' tab. Perhaps that TV tuner card is loading an IRQ beyond its limits. As to video problems, try another known good video card. I am suspect of that AGP 6200.. had two fail. The GPU fan dies in about 2 years of 'normal' use, then the GPU or interface chip overheats!
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby rascard2007 » Tue Nov 17, 2015 5:52 am

yesterday when I came home I did a second try at win 2K, instead of installing the original drivers of the VGA Card I installed the ones that came in the CD of my other VGA Card, a Gigabyte nvidia GT-240, and voilá, everything is working perfectly so seems to be that MOBO, VGA and TV Cards are fine and the issue is a driver related one, i´ll try the same version of the drivers in windows XP tonigth to see what happens
-The Police-
rascard2007
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby rascard2007 » Tue Nov 17, 2015 8:02 am

BTW what is the latest version of nvidia geforce drivers working on both Win2K and 6200 VGA card?
-The Police-
rascard2007
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby Mr T » Tue Nov 17, 2015 12:21 pm

According to nVidia website, 90.24 (win2k) and 307.83 driver (XP)..
I have been programming on computers since the ZX81.
I am an apprentice trained Electronics Engineer with qualifications to back it up.
I have been repairing computers since 1996.
Yet to some people I still know nothing...
Mr T
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Postby rascard2007 » Tue Nov 17, 2015 2:25 pm

Thanks MrT but the ones that I installed and are working fine are 191.07

I will try to set the system up without the TV card attached, to see if their is some conflict, I think that the first time I out the things together the TV card was in other PC and I added later to this rig
-The Police-
rascard2007
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby evasive » Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:26 pm

Any Aopen board needs to be checked for bulging capacitors first before you start installing any other stuff. The same for any PSU that has an Aopen label. Typical behaviour would be to crash when loaded a bit more e.g. after installing drivers for a video card that now wants a bit more power...
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby rascard2007 » Mon Nov 23, 2015 7:51 am

what makes me crazy is that in win 2K everyting is working fine but in XP windows crashes before de welcome screen. I´ll check the caps inside the PSU but I think that the issue may be a conflict between the VGA card and the TV card. I want to make a fresh install without the TV card installed to see what happens, but having the dual boot in only one HDD if I do the fresh install the 2K installation will be lost and for now is the one working fine.
-The Police-
rascard2007
Black Belt
Black Belt

Next

Return to General