Have a problem with a Windows 10 setting

All hardware or software issues that do not have a specific forum go here.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Have a problem with a Windows 10 setting

Postby c327 » Thu Nov 12, 2015 9:37 am

I have windows 10 and Google Chrome installed. When I X off a website and then click on the Google icon it takes me back to the previous website or page I was on. What I want it to do is return me to the Google start page. I can't find the setting to make that change. Is this a Windows setting or a Google setting?

Where do I make this setting change?

Thanks.................
“Respect cannot be learned, purchased or acquired - it can only be earned” "Pay It Forward"
c327
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Re: Have a problem with a Windows 10 setting

Postby rascard2007 » Thu Nov 12, 2015 2:20 pm

it´s a chrome setting, look in the options something related with the start page (i never used chrome but is the normal procedure in almost all navigators I know) perhaps the actual setting is "open the last visited" or something like that
"I have only come here seeking knowledge,
Things they would not teach me of in college"
-Wrapped Around Your Fingers-
-The Police-
rascard2007
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby c327 » Thu Nov 12, 2015 3:35 pm

rascard2007 wrote:it´s a chrome setting, look in the options something related with the start page (i never used chrome but is the normal procedure in almost all navigators I know) perhaps the actual setting is "open the last visited" or something like that

I went through all the google settings and compared them to another PC that has the same Google Chrome browser and all of the settings are the same. When I open the start page on the windows 10 PC it opens to the last website or page I last viewed.

I have spent hours trying to correct this
“Respect cannot be learned, purchased or acquired - it can only be earned” "Pay It Forward"
c327
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Postby rascard2007 » Fri Nov 13, 2015 6:04 am

-The Police-
rascard2007
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby evasive » Sat Nov 14, 2015 4:10 am

chrome://settings/

second block titled "On Startup" set it for anything else than "Continue where you left off"
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby c327 » Sat Nov 14, 2015 3:13 pm

evasive wrote:chrome://settings/

second block titled "On Startup" set it for anything else than "Continue where you left off"

Thanks for the reply but I don't understand exactly what you want me to do?

Understand I have never used any operating system beyond XP so the learning curve for me with Windows 10 will be more challenging. Also I am using a new laptop purchased directly from HP that I upgraded (free) to Windows 10 from 8.1. Normally I would just clean install the operating system to get rid of the crapware that comes with it but since I am not familiar with what I need to reinstall with a Windows 10 OS I figured I would just delete some of the pre installed junk that came installed with this PC. I checked to Task Manager and find that 55 background processes and 29 Windows processes seem to be all running.

Not knowing anything else it seems that there are to many running ???? So before I go any further and possibly do something that will damage the OS I need some additional advise please.

Thanks..............
c327
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Postby c327 » Sat Nov 14, 2015 3:15 pm

Thank you for the links. Please see my comments to evasive below.
c327
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Postby c327 » Sat Nov 14, 2015 3:20 pm

I had already done this but its still not working the same as my other PC. If i click the Home Button it works but with my other PC I don't have to click the Home Button. Just Xing off what ever page I am on and reopening the Chrome browser will bring me to my Home Page
c327
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Postby rascard2007 » Mon Nov 16, 2015 6:25 am

perhaps is a bug in the version of chrome that u have, try upgrading to the latest version, if there is any
-The Police-
rascard2007
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby evasive » Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:22 pm

c327 wrote:
evasive wrote:chrome://settings/

Thanks for the reply but I don't understand exactly what you want me to do?

Understand I have never used any operating system beyond XP so the learning curve for me with Windows 10 will be more challenging. Also I am using a new laptop purchased directly from HP that I upgraded (free) to Windows 10 from 8.1. Normally I would just clean install the operating system to get rid of the crapware that comes with it but since I am not familiar with what I need to reinstall with a Windows 10 OS I figured I would just delete some of the pre installed junk that came installed with this PC. I checked to Task Manager and find that 55 background processes and 29 Windows processes seem to be all running.

Not knowing anything else it seems that there are to many running ???? So before I go any further and possibly do something that will damage the OS I need some additional advise please.

Thanks..............

Open Chrome, type
chrome://settings/
in the adress bar and hit the Enter key
in the second block titled "On Startup" set it for anything else than "Continue where you left off" so a custom page or a blank page

This setting needs to be made from inside the program, not from windows.
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Return to General