Reloading Windows On A New Laptop ???

All hardware or software issues that do not have a specific forum go here.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Re: Reloading Windows On A New Laptop ???

Postby c327 » Mon Oct 05, 2015 10:31 am

Karlsweldt wrote:i]evasive[/i] or Toby B. may not approve of starting a duplicate thread elsewhere.
In re: to your other thread..
The upgrade to Win 10 is free, from Win 7 and Win 8.
As to Win 10 upgrades from Win 7 and Win 8, the same COA and other registration data is applied. And the existing OS is saved as a backup in case you want to revert. 30 days is the limit if you want to revert.
Going back after that time means a complete fresh install and registration again.
It is advisable to copy out those partitions with the install drivers and OS program. There is a very small partition, maybe less than 10% of the total capacity, with HD setup and format/OS info. That is created at the OS install time.
If you want the install/driver disk from the manufacturer, it is not overly expensive.
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/ ... ndows%2010
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... fc4?auth=1

I deleted it there. Thought I was doing something right.
“Respect cannot be learned, purchased or acquired - it can only be earned” "Pay It Forward"
c327
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Postby c327 » Mon Oct 05, 2015 10:41 am

c327 wrote:
Karlsweldt wrote:i]evasive[/i] or Toby B. may not approve of starting a duplicate thread elsewhere.
In re: to your other thread..
The upgrade to Win 10 is free, from Win 7 and Win 8.
As to Win 10 upgrades from Win 7 and Win 8, the same COA and other registration data is applied. And the existing OS is saved as a backup in case you want to revert. 30 days is the limit if you want to revert.
Going back after that time means a complete fresh install and registration again.
It is advisable to copy out those partitions with the install drivers and OS program. There is a very small partition, maybe less than 10% of the total capacity, with HD setup and format/OS info. That is created at the OS install time.
If you want the install/driver disk from the manufacturer, it is not overly expensive.
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/ ... ndows%2010
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... fc4?auth=1

I deleted it there. Thought I was doing something right.

Well HP had the OS on a 468gb partition ???

I tried to do a revert to 8.1 and repair of the OS but all the crap came back including 8.1. I see no reason why I should spend all this time trying to fix something that I don't think will be really clean or corrupted in some way. I want to clean install the OS. As I mentioned I did download Windows 10 x64 from Microsoft's website, the file size is 3.8gb. I tried to get some media from HP with all the drivers but talking to HP chat was not a pleasant experience which I expected and they basically hung up on me PDT_Armataz_01_07

Now I need to do the deed and get this Windows 10 x64 installed. I do have the product key off the PC. Just for the record this PC is only about 2 weeks old. Do I need to prepare a thumb drive to be able to boot from it? or is it good to go the way it is? I have used it to move things from PC to PC.

Thanks.............
“Respect cannot be learned, purchased or acquired - it can only be earned” "Pay It Forward"
c327
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Postby Mr T » Wed Oct 14, 2015 11:28 am

Duplicate post...

Re the above:

Here is but one way to create a bootable pen drive... Google and it will show you other methods...

The pre installed HP windows is an OEM install, in simple terms, HP basically clones the drives with an OEM preinstall, the licence key on the base is not used, unless you do a clean install and wipe all the drives or put a new drive in..

Windows 10 will put just about all the drivers in. The only drivers I have issues with are ASUS ATK, solved by uninstalling the keyboard hot key program and the graphics drivers, which was resolved by downloading the driver from AMd, Nvidia or Intel..

I tend to use the legacy boot, but thats me, it works either way...
And I reiterate:

On to installing windows 10. Unless you purchased a licenced retail or OEM version with (new, non-upgrade) product key, you cannot install the upgrade onto a bare drive with no operating system. The way windows 10 works to activate is to take a hardware profile of your system and use that as a unique id. The licence key is still required, but no activation if it doesn't detect that hardware profile. So if you have the upgrade version (free) and wish to install it, then you have to upgrade from windows 7 or window8/8.1, activate it and then do a clean install.
I have been programming on computers since the ZX81.
I am an apprentice trained Electronics Engineer with qualifications to back it up.
I have been repairing computers since 1996.
Yet to some people I still know nothing...
Mr T
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Previous

Return to General