Reloading Windows On A New Laptop ???

All hardware or software issues that do not have a specific forum go here.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Reloading Windows On A New Laptop ???

Postby c327 » Tue Sep 29, 2015 11:26 am

New HP laptop for wife:
Windows 8.1. 64 bit. With free Windows 10 upgrade
Intel i5 5200U CPU
500gb 5400 rpm HDD
6gb DDR3L 2 DIMM
Intel 802.11ac

This PC has not been turned on yet. Was thinking of clean installing Windows and at the same time get the free upgrade to Windows 10. My concerns are in not screwing anything up with the Windows install. This PC did not come with a CD or DVD drive or media with Windows on it. The reason I want to reinstall the OS is to get rid of any pre installed software that I may not want along with anything else that may be installed that I may not want, so I figured I would just reinstall the OS before I use it.

I will get a full pay version of a good anti virus/firewall and have it handy but what is the best way to get Windows. What is the best method of going about this?

Thanks
“Respect cannot be learned, purchased or acquired - it can only be earned” "Pay It Forward"
c327
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Re: Reloading Windows On A New Laptop ???

Postby Karlsweldt » Tue Sep 29, 2015 3:01 pm

Almost every laptop and PC that is sold as a "package" may not have a driver disk. There is a small hidden partition on the hard drive, which has all the drivers and the OS install library. There should be a prompt to copy out that partition to a DVD or similar for backup on first use.
As has been the case with almost all Windows versions, the newer ones may have different program relations that are not compatible with older versions and drivers.
For my "two bits", I would get another hard drive, and do a virgin install of Win 10, after copying out that hidden partition on the original drive. Likely Win 10 would then do an update search for proper drivers, if not compatible.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby c327 » Thu Oct 01, 2015 1:53 am

Karlsweldt wrote:Almost every laptop and PC that is sold as a "package" may not have a driver disk. There is a small hidden partition on the hard drive, which has all the drivers and the OS install library. There should be a prompt to copy out that partition to a DVD or similar for backup on first use.
As has been the case with almost all Windows versions, the newer ones may have different program relations that are not compatible with older versions and drivers.
For my "two bits", I would get another hard drive, and do a virgin install of Win 10, after copying out that hidden partition on the original drive. Likely Win 10 would then do an update search for proper drivers, if not compatible.

Replacing the HDD on a brand new laptop will void the warranty and makes no sense to me. If I wanted a different HDD I would have ordered it that way. I know a ssd would be nice but for what this laptop will be used for is more than sufficient just he way it is. I Just want to know what is the best way to reload Windows with out using separate Windows media and since there is a free upgrade from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 can I just go straight to Windows 10 when I reload the OS ?
“Respect cannot be learned, purchased or acquired - it can only be earned” "Pay It Forward"
c327
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Postby Karlsweldt » Thu Oct 01, 2015 8:45 am

Maybe the easiest way would be to just go to the 'add/remove programs' feature in the Control Panel. Uninstall what is not wanted. Yes, a lot of "trial" software comes pre-installed. A lot is useless, some is acceptable. But may be expensive after the "trial". Win 10 upgrade will do a backup of previous OS versions, so if not happy you can revert. But Win 10 has a load of useless software in the package.
If the hard drive on a new laptop is replaced, should not void a warranty, if identical. You could clone all data to another drive in an external USB case for backup.
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Mr T » Thu Oct 01, 2015 9:41 am

Boot up the laptop, set it up and look at creating recovery discs, varies usually from 2 DVD's or 6CD's. Uninstall all the bloatware and update windows, then update to windows 10 - from that you may be able to create recovery discs for windows 10.. And if you upgrade to windows 10, it comes with windows defender, from experience is as good if not better than any retail AV, as it is unobtrusive. One thing I would do now (again from experience) is to register for warranty...
I have been programming on computers since the ZX81.
I am an apprentice trained Electronics Engineer with qualifications to back it up.
I have been repairing computers since 1996.
Yet to some people I still know nothing...
Mr T
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Postby c327 » Fri Oct 02, 2015 1:31 pm

Mr T wrote:Boot up the laptop, set it up and look at creating recovery discs, varies usually from 2 DVD's or 6CD's. Uninstall all the bloatware and update windows, then update to windows 10 - from that you may be able to create recovery discs for windows 10.. And if you upgrade to windows 10, it comes with windows defender, from experience is as good if not better than any retail AV, as it is unobtrusive. One thing I would do now (again from experience) is to register for warranty...

Mr. T

What warranty registration are you talking about? This new laptop is the wife's a HP Pavilion x360 that has Windows 8.1

Thanks...............
c327
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Postby Mr T » Sat Oct 03, 2015 1:50 am

New HP laptop for wife:
.. Assume new as in recently purchased, brand new.. I know most people don't register for warranty (me included)... It can be a help if you do, thats all..
I have been programming on computers since the ZX81.
I am an apprentice trained Electronics Engineer with qualifications to back it up.
I have been repairing computers since 1996.
Yet to some people I still know nothing...
Mr T
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Postby c327 » Sun Oct 04, 2015 8:55 am

I moved this subject to the Operating Systems forum because this subject got a little off......... c327
c327
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Postby Karlsweldt » Sun Oct 04, 2015 3:14 pm

i]evasive[/i] or Toby B. may not approve of starting a duplicate thread elsewhere.
In re: to your other thread..
The upgrade to Win 10 is free, from Win 7 and Win 8.
As to Win 10 upgrades from Win 7 and Win 8, the same COA and other registration data is applied. And the existing OS is saved as a backup in case you want to revert. 30 days is the limit if you want to revert.
Going back after that time means a complete fresh install and registration again.
It is advisable to copy out those partitions with the install drivers and OS program. There is a very small partition, maybe less than 10% of the total capacity, with HD setup and format/OS info. That is created at the OS install time.
If you want the install/driver disk from the manufacturer, it is not overly expensive.
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/ ... ndows%2010
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... fc4?auth=1
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby c327 » Mon Oct 05, 2015 5:31 am

I downloaded Windows 10 (3.8 GB) and have it stored on my desktop PC and I have the product key written down for the Windows 10 OS. I need to put it on either a thumb drive or my external HDD that I use for backing up my desktop because the new HP laptop only has a couple of USB ports and no internal CD drive.

I need to know if I put the downloaded Windows 10 on either the flash thumb drive or my external HDD if Windows 10 will be bootable from either of them. Both the thumb drive and the external HDD shows up in My Computer when they are connected.

Thanks.................
c327
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Next

Return to General