Life of a SSD

All hardware or software issues that do not have a specific forum go here.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Life of a SSD

Postby c327 » Sun Aug 02, 2015 4:29 am

I have read that the life span of a SSD is determined by how many times it is written to but that was quite a while ago. Since SSD's have been out for a while have they improved over time in that regard?

Considering a quality SSD (IMO) from Micron/Crucial last longer than one from another manufacturer or are they pretty much all the same?

How many times can a SSD be written to?

Does the size of what is being written to the SSD affect how long the SSD will live, like a bunch of photo's and video files vs. a bunch of Word documents or is it just the file size vs file size makes no difference what the file is?

Some SSD manufacturers:

Transcend
Sandisk
Samsung
Plextor
Micron/Crucial
OCZ
Sea gate
Corsair
“Respect cannot be learned, purchased or acquired - it can only be earned” "Pay It Forward"
c327
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Re: Life of a SSD

Postby Mr T » Sun Aug 02, 2015 6:38 am

The MTBF (Meant Time Before Failure) is really long for SSD's, the chances of one running out before you finish using it is pretty slim. But like most data stuff there is a chance, always a chance of failure, so it is always worth backing up to two or three places just in case. To improve lifespan of a SSD, dont defrag it, dont use a swap partition and dont try and zero fill it, but apart from that just run it as a normal drive. Most operating systems support TRIM -
A Trim command (commonly typeset as TRIM) allows an operating system to inform a solid-state drive (SSD) which blocks of data are no longer considered in use and can be wiped internally
from wiki, so defragging and zero filling are not necessary...
I have been programming on computers since the ZX81.
I am an apprentice trained Electronics Engineer with qualifications to back it up.
I have been repairing computers since 1996.
Yet to some people I still know nothing...
Mr T
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Re: Life of a SSD

Postby bdub » Mon Aug 03, 2015 8:29 am

here's commandline to make sure trim is enabled.
open command box and type "fsutil behavior query disabledeletenotify", no quotes.
an answer of "0" means trim is properly enabled.
an answer of "1" means trim is not enabled.

to enable trim, in the same command box type "fsutil behavior set DisableDeleteNotify 0", no quotes.

you may want to reboot after this.

then if you goto the disk deframenter tool in your operating system... the ssd should not be in the list of possible disks to defrag now.
my main rig...
asrock 970 extreme3
AMD athlonII X3 440
zalman cpns5x performa hs/fan
crucial ballistix 2x4gb sport ddr3-1333
powercolor ax7750 1GBK3-H vga
antec neo he 650r
Samsung 840 EVo SSD 120 GB
toshiba 2TB HDD 64M cache sata3
seagate 1TB HDD 64M cache sata3
hitachi 2TB HDD 64M cache sata3
lg wh14ns40 bd burner
optiarc ad-7240s sata dvdrw (nec chipset)
bdub
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

Return to General