ASUS HD7750-1GD5: desktop artifacts and stand-by problems

All hardware or software issues that do not have a specific forum go here.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

ASUS HD7750-1GD5: desktop artifacts and stand-by problems

Postby sirams » Sat Oct 05, 2013 5:07 am

Hi guys.

Some months ago I bought ASUS HD7750-1GD5. On the very first day I noticed some issues with this card.

1) It has problems to wake up after "sleeping". When I have been away for 20 minutes, my computer turns off the monitor as specified in display settings. With my previous video cards (ASUS AMD HD3650 or Intel HD 2000 integrated into i3 on my Gigabyte motherboard) I could just move the mouse or press any key, and the monitor woke up. But now my monitor stays black. The programs are working though. For example, if I had a movie player opened, I can resume/stop playback by pressing spacebar, but the monitor is still black. It has definitely woke up because I see that its LED light is bright. The only way to make the desktop to appear again is by hitting keys Windows+L to lock the desktop. Then the login screen shows up and I can continue working on my computer. Also, Ctrl-Alt-Del helps. This issue does not happen on every stand-by. Today I had three stand-by occasions when I was away from my PC, and only in one case I had to press Windows+L to force Windows to refresh the desktop image. Sometimes the same issue happens right after booting Windows - black screen until I hit Windows+L.

2) This one is rare, maybe one time out of ten. After booting or resume from hibernate or sleep, the login screen is totally corrupted mess of colors. But when I move the mouse, my login account image appears, I can click on it, and when I log in, my desktop is completely normal, no signs of any problems.

3) A few times a day I notice a short horizontal flickering line (10-20 centimeters). It is about 1 pixel high and it flickers slowly and irregularly for 5-10 seconds, and then it goes away by itself. It always goes away if I cause redraw of the current application - minimize and restore. It does not depend on any particular application, I've noticed it in Skype, in Google Chrome, in PDF reader...

There were no such issues with my previous AMD HD3650, nor with Intel HD 2000 integrated into i3 on my Gigabyte motherboard. I did not overclock, everything runs as out of the box.

Nevertheless, the card seems rock stable, no BSODs, no artifacts when gaming. I'm using my PC for work, thus it is online for ~10 hours every day.

Here are the specs of my system:

Motherboard: Gigabyte ga-h67a-usb3-b3
CPU: i3-2120
GPU: ASUS HD7750-1GD5
RAM: Kingston 4x2 = 8GB

Video drivers: Catalyst 13.9

In one forum I've read that various desktop artifacts might be caused by too low 2D clocks which are set by default for new AMD video cards. People suggested to tweak Overdrive profile. But with the latest Catalyst I had a problem that I could not enable Overdrive - it just disappeared after I clicked Accept button. I found the following instructions which helped me:
In regedit navigate to:
HKCU\Software\ATI\ACE\Settings
Right click on the Settings key, select Permissions then Advanced.
Make sure your account has full access, and check "Replace all child object permissions with inheritable permissions from this object".
Click OK and OK to apply the changes.
Restart the CCC process (relogin/reboot/kill it).

Then I had to edit profiles.xml file in CUsers\myusername\AppData\Local\ATI\ACE
and after that, set it to read-only so the CCC does not overwrite it.

At first I tried GPU/RAM speeds as 400/200 MHz, but for some weird reason CCC set the RAM to max 115000. So I decided that it does not like those values, and as recommended in one forum for 7770, I set it to 500/800 MHz. Now GPU-Z confirms that these settings are correct.

Today I was working all day with these 500/800 MHz settings and I did not notice that horizontal line artifact anymore. Still, I had the stand-by problem once.

Another issue now is that I would like to keep that 500/800 MHz mode, but after reboot GPU-Z shows 300/150 MHza again. I have to open Catalyst and check that "Enable Graphics Overdrive" checkbox after each reboot. Is there any way to force those 2D frequencies to stick between reboots?
sirams
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby Karlsweldt » Sat Oct 05, 2013 6:11 am

Did you remove the previous video card from the hardware roster, and uninstall the old drivers? This has to be done, even with the same brand of card but a newer model. Drivers and associations can be different, and can cause artifacts.
If a new video card has artifacts even in basic (BIOS pages) mode, then it likely is defective.. or not getting sufficient power. Ensure that if there is a power socket on its inner edge, it mates with the appropriate lead set from the PSU.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby evasive » Sat Oct 05, 2013 10:04 am

What brand/model Power supply and how old is it?
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby sirams » Sat Oct 05, 2013 1:47 pm

Power supply is PointOfView BlackDiamond 500W, four years old. But these new video cards seem to be really power efficient, especially because they ran on 300MHz/150MHz CPU/RAM when in idle 2D mode.

Yeah, I guess I should clean up the drivers completely (although strictly speaking it is not possible because if I uninstall the previous drivers, then Windows will install its own default VGA drivers anyway :lol: ). Maybe this will help with the stand-by issue.

Although I doubt that it will help with those artifacts. I have looked in many forums and it seems a common issue with AMD HD 77xx series. Some people have much more serious artifacts or even BSODs caused by the fact that this card sometimes suddenly decides to switch to power efficient mode with lower CPU/RAM frequencies.

I guess, now I need just to find out some way to force my card to always use 500/800 MHz 2D settings. I'm already using these settings for two days and no more artifacts, but I have to turn AMD overdrive on every time I boot my PC.
sirams
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby Mr T » Sat Oct 05, 2013 11:11 pm

Me< I would ditch the old PSU and invest in a new... PC components are more 'green' but use more power these days, esp the video cards and do require better power which a cheap low powered PSU just doesn't give. The other thing to do is to use the ASUS drivers, they may be older, but they are generally customized for an ASUS product..
I have been programming on computers since the ZX81.
I am an apprentice trained Electronics Engineer with qualifications to back it up.
I have been repairing computers since 1996.
Yet to some people I still know nothing...
Mr T
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Postby evasive » Sun Oct 06, 2013 1:37 am

I agree with Mr.T

That PSU was difficult to track to the OEM which turned out to be either Taiwan based "Casing Macron". They currently list no power supplies anymore which makes me think that adventure was less than successful.

The other possibility is Tagan/Topower and that has less than stellar internals too...
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby sirams » Sun Oct 06, 2013 3:14 am

I found one Russian review of my PSU (scroll down for voltage charts):
http://article.techlabs.by/36_7935_2.html
Their resume is that it's stable PSU with average build quality, but a bit noisy and might get too hot on high loads.

One issue is that I live in rural area and I'm using UPS. I've read that ActivePFC PSUs have problems with UPSes. That's why I looked for a Passive PFC one when buying.

If it would be only the PSU's fault, then I might have serious problems when gaming because video card consumes more power in 3D mode. But I didn't notice any problems when gaming (SimCity 2013, Cities XL, Mafia 2) and also 3D benchmarks ran just fine.

Anyway, thanks for ideas, I'll try to borrow some PSU from a reputable brand and try it for a week or so.
sirams
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby sirams » Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:51 am

It seems, I'm onto something:

http://forums.amd.com/game/messageview. ... did=166954

I just tested - my AMD External Events service was set to Manual run. I've never had any problems with this. I guess, now AMD cards depend on this service more than they used to. So, I turned this service to Automatic.

Also, I did the trick with devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices as that thread suggests and found out that there is an entry for Intel HD Graphics. It was greyed out as inactive. I uninstalled it anyway to be sure.

Now let's wait for a couple of days and see, if it helps to get rid of the "blackouts".
sirams
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby Roach412 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:25 pm

sirams wrote:One issue is that I live in rural area and I'm using UPS. I've read that ActivePFC PSUs have problems with UPSes. That's why I looked for a Passive PFC one when buying.

they only have issues when you don't have a large enough UPS for the PSU based on the true power draw vs. apparent power draw.

for example, if you have a 500VA UPS for you 500w non-PFC PSU, then it's not going to work. you'd need something more like a 650VA or 750VA UPS...roughly speaking.

a 500w PFC PSU will work fine on a 500VA UPS.

-Roach
Lian Li Lancool First Knight Series PC-K59W
Intel Core i7-960 Bloomfield 3.2GHz
EVGA X58 FTW3 132-GT-E768-TR
EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 FTW GAMING ACX 3.0
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 12GB (3 x 4GB)
Crucial M4 128gb SATAIII SSD x2
Crucial M4 256gb SATAIII SSD
OCZ Saber 1000 960GB Enterprise SSD
Corsair Professional Series HX850 PSU
Dell UltraSharp U2713HM 27" w/drop ceiling mount
Logitech G930 7.1 Headset