CD-ROM IDE port vs. IDE port on motherboard

All hardware or software issues that do not have a specific forum go here.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Postby 8bitbubsy » Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:45 am

Karlsweldt wrote:Surprising that you could even connect to any Web site!
The minimal browser status for IE is version 8.. but there are other browsers that may allow 'legacy' OS versions access. But then the issue of an antivirus or firewall program..
With those older 486 systems, some could accept up to a 133 MHz CPU.. sometimes called the "586" by AMD. But the socket for the CPU had to be newer than the version 4 or 5. And core plus I/O voltage supplies needed to be 3.3 volts. For older systems, the standard 30-pin SIMMS were default in 1 meg versions. But 4 meg versions might work. Later models of the 486 system could accept either 30-pin or 72-pin SIMMS, but not together!
"Way back when", in the mid 1990s, a 72-pin 16-meg SIMM could cost over $100.00 per module!!!!! Image

Yeah the 5x86 by AMD would go as far as 133MHz indeed, but with half the cache (8kB vs 16kB) and no write-back cache support... Not sure if I'd see any improvements at all! :?

EDIT: :o
http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/80486/AMD ... 16BGC.html
The Am486DX5-133 actually does have 16kB cache and write-back support... I wonder where I got my nonsense information from. :lol:
8bitbubsy
Initiate
Initiate

Postby Karlsweldt » Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:42 am

Yes, the AMD 5x86 did indeed have a decent cache memory. But the higher CPU speed for data 'crunching' meant much faster performance by itself.. less time wasted with write-back and such. Similar to when the 486 SX was replaced with the 486 DX, or paired with the 487 SX co-processor! And having an accessible L2 cache on-board of up to 512 KB really gave a system "kick-a-byte" speed! Many 486 mobos had socketed DIPP chips.. and some had a slot for a dedicated cache memory module. Then there were those "hair-puller" mobo types that had up to 20 jumpers to set, for cache/CPU/voltage needs.
AMD and Intel were in a 'one-upmanship' to have the better CPU model. The battle tilted either way, maybe weekly! Intel developed the Pentium Pro®, but AMD did not follow that path. Yet the first true "Pentium" CPU was quickly imitated, and several other companies tried to get their share of the market. None were as successful as AMD in competing.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Previous

Return to General