Need Manual (board map) for Acer 8I945

All hardware or software issues that do not have a specific forum go here.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Need Manual (board map) for Acer 8I945

Postby abrogard » Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:39 pm

I've been going round in circles for the last ten minutes googling for an Acer 8I945 motherboard spec sheet, manual, map, whatever. And I can't find it.

Just took out a broken Microstar until I can (maybe) fix it and put in this Acer board.

All going alright, put in another PSU to fit the 24 pin thing was the only thing I had to do.

But now I want to plug in those tiny plugs - leds and speaker and whatnot. The main one being the on/off switch. I need that. So I need a map to tell me where/how to plug them all in.

By 'how' I mean those occasions when you've got for instance one USB plug marked '+' and one marked '-' and can find the USB on the board but don't know which is the plus and which the minus.

I'm very new at this but I did build my Asus A8NSLI some years ago and I remember - I think - some jumpering (or was it in software?) to do with matching up the precise cpu in use and perhaps the memory bus speeds.

I wonder if such matching is a very important part of putting in boards, especially, maybe, putting in second hand boards with second hand cpu's and second hand RAM? Maybe I've broken boards before by not giving it a thought? Or it is not usual?

Having bought this on eBay it's important I get it tested as soon as possible.

If I find the on/off switch would it be okay to switch it on as it is, minus any disks, no keyboard, no mouse, no 'tiny' plugs (speaker, leds, usb, whatever) but with 2gig ram?
abrogard
Initiate
Initiate

Postby evasive » Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:15 pm

This one is made by Gigabyte, at least, I suspect you have the 8i945AE board. Am I right?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pentium-Mothe ... 1e6d7753e2

CPU with fan/heatsink, memory, power supply should give you at least some light on the monitor if connected to the VGA connector. It will beep about the missing stuff but it should complete POST setup routine.

In the mean time I'll go hunting for a diagram of the front panel connections.
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby evasive » Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:54 pm

I suspect it has the standard "Intel" front panel layout, having the connector vertical, pin 1 in the upper left corner, pin layout would be like this:

HDD LED+ POWER LED+
HDD LED- POWER LED-
RESET POWER SWITCH
RESET POWER SWITCH

According to the electric schematics of the 8i945AE that is.
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Karlsweldt » Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:41 am

USB pinouts are semi-standard. Typically 10 pins, with one pin absent as a 'key'. If unsure about function, test with the board unpowered, using an ohmmeter. From each pin to a ground point, the pin(s) with near-zero resistance would be the ground pins. The pinout may be parallel in function, or opposed. Check this link for USB pinouts. Normally, four pins would be at ground potential.. but two are data and power grounds, one pin would be a shield ground source. Only one shield ground is required.. hence the need for only nine pins.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby abrogard » Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:07 pm

Thanks for the help but I'm not quite understanding, sorry evasive.

I've got two problems:

Main one: identifying the power pins so I can stick the clearly identified power switch things onto them.

Second one: getting the things onto the usb pins correctly.

Third one, relatively minor: putting the rest on.

Perhaps it'd help me if I provided a picture to show you. I think that set of pins down in the bottom right of the 'macro shot' picture is the business but I don't see 'power' labelled anywhere on it...

And I see the yellow usb pins there clearly enough but where to put the 'grnd', 'usb+', 'usb-', and 'acc' things? And that's four pins, you see, not the 10 pins Karls describing to me.

The pic (look at the fourth one, the 'macro' pic ) is at: https://picasaweb.google.com/1107755977 ... directlink

If you've not use Picasaweb before you'll find if you click on the pic you can blow it up most dramatically with your mouse wheel (for instance) and get a good view.

P.S. I'm getting somewhere. Got a magnifying glass on it and referred to a gigabyte 8i945 board and figured the power pins should be red and sure enough the glass showed '+PW-' written there.

And I know which is my power switch cable because it's written on it. So now just which way round?

I'd assume the red wire is the positive. But the back of all these tiny plastic connectors always has a little raised diamond or arrowhead on them at one side and I'd assume that was the positive side, too.

But that doesn't match with the cable. Which should I take as positive? If I get it wrong way round will it hurt the board?
abrogard
Initiate
Initiate

Postby Karlsweldt » Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:30 am

This Toms Hardware link may be of help.
Unfortunately, there is no "standard" for front-panel pinouts. For the power switch or reset switch, there is no worry about polarity. But the front-panel LEDs are polarity sensitive, and won't light up if polarity is wrong.. but will not be damaged.
In most cases, there would be a small printed chart on the mobo surface as to the FP connections. If you have the mobo manual, it definitely would show the purpose of the pins.
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby abrogard » Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:06 pm

Yes, the manual, that's what I'm looking for...

I've hooked up the power switch and switched it on for half a minute or so. It seems good. Got a signal on the vdu about no boot device. So far so good.

Got more confusion about the front panel connectors if anyone has the same board (Acer 8i945).

The board shows a group of eight connections in two rows of four.

they are labelled in tiny print underneath like this:

+msg- +pw- nc +act-
+hd- -rst+ vcc +ood-

I can't figure out which might be the power led or in fact figure out any of them except the power switch.

And above this block are two sets of two pins, unlabelled. Wonder what they are?

And I have a spare wire (from this old Leader case that I've put the board in) for 'speaker' and I can't identify a speaker connector on the board.

And the USB wires I have from the case - two sets - have these wires:

gnd, usbd+, usbd-, vcc

which is four wires for each set and everything seems to be telling me you need nine wires for a usb connection....
abrogard
Initiate
Initiate

Postby Karlsweldt » Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:16 am

As to the markings by the FP connector.. they are somewhat self-explanatory.
+msg- +pw- nc +act-
+hd- -rst+ vcc +ood-

Not 100% certain of designations, best to consult the manual.
"+Msg-" would refer to a multi-color LED that blinks if there is other than normal operation.. part of the normal 'power on' LED. "+pw-" would refer to the power switch, "+act-" likely refers to an 'activity' LED. "+hd-" refers to the hard drive activity LED. "-rst+" refers to the 'restore' switch. The "vcc" would refer to a power source. The "+ood-" is unknown. The "nc" refers to 'no connection'.
If there were a 'speaker' connection, it may be marked as "spk" or "spr".
But likely there is a small round object with a hole in its top. That would be a "speaker" of sorts.
As previously noted, only the LED lamps are polarity sensitive. If the connectors are marked, and the most dominant color is white, black or other, then that would be a 'common' lead.. and a red would indicate the (+) for a hard drive indicator, a green would be for the power LED. No concern about wire colors or polarity with switches!
For USB connections, check the provided link as to pinouts. The wire color denotes use. Red would be for the +5 volts, black for the ground or negative, white and green would be for the data connections. There is a live page link for "USB pinouts" on the provided link. If the USB ports are grounded to the case, then no extra grounding leads are required.. but you do need the data ground leads to avoid extraneous RFI getting into the data stream.
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby abrogard » Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:08 pm

Thanks for that, Karl. Sorry I didn't acknowledge at the time - been busy.

Very helpful to me.

:)
abrogard
Initiate
Initiate

Return to General