Gimp experts? How to edit aniumate GIF?

All hardware or software issues that do not have a specific forum go here.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Gimp experts? How to edit aniumate GIF?

Postby BrevCampagnolo » Fri May 31, 2013 11:16 am

I have an animated GIF I'm trying to edit in Gimp (Linux Mint). It's a 7-layer GIF and I want to edit the text (which is identical in all seven layers) and leave the animated bit unaltered.

I have exactly ZERO experience with Gimp, especially higher functions, but what I was trying to do was edit the text on each separate layer. The problem is, none of my edits had any effect. Can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. Any ideas?
-- Campy

"Computers in the future may weigh no more than 1.5 tons."
- Popular Mechanics, 1949
BrevCampagnolo
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby Karlsweldt » Sat Jun 01, 2013 7:05 am

ehow.com recommends changing the format to a 'still' image, then editing the layers. They note that a GIMP program can only work with 256 colors.
You have to edit each layer, as the GIF image is comprised of up to 12 layers, each a separate image.. like the old-fashioned "flip" comic pages.
Save each page after editing.
Not much other info on other sites.
Are you using the latest version from http://www.gimp.org/ ?
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby BrevCampagnolo » Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:29 am

Thank you for the help, Karlsweldt.

What I have discovered, through much trial and error, is that GIMP has two 'master' on/off buttons, plus three more on/off buttons associated with each individual layer, each and every button has to be in the correct position, and that position changes according to which layer you're working on, else the changes either don't happen or can't be saved.

So it's your basic PICNIC error. GIMP has no "dummy" level, and I already know how to do the majority of the stuff I have call for in MS-Paint, so I've never bothered to develop any GIMP expertise.

Maybe I need to join a GIMP user's group. :wink:
-- Campy

"Computers in the future may weigh no more than 1.5 tons."
- Popular Mechanics, 1949
BrevCampagnolo
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby Karlsweldt » Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:23 am

Autodesk was once the premier GIF editor and creator. May be some help from their site? But reportedly there is some language conflict between the Autodesk process (priority file types) and GIMP.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby excitron » Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:23 pm

Because your on Linux, my suggestion wouldn't help. However, other than videos on YouTube, your main recourse will be to get a book. There's several decent ones out there, but have a look at this list and see what you feel may suit you best: http://tinyurl.com/khfe9lx

Try to get a recent book that covers the version on your system. Hope this helps.
excitron
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Return to General