MS HAL and changing components

All hardware or software issues that do not have a specific forum go here.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

MS HAL and changing components

Postby Mac29 » Mon May 27, 2013 3:20 pm

I'm about to change video cards and will be trying to unlock one or more cpu's so I'll be getting another mobo in the near future. As I understand it, MS has a Hardware Abstaction Layer baked into Windows that won't allow you to change parts, it only allows boot to hardware on the list created when OS was installed.

I want to be sure what I'm getting into. I have academic vers of 7 and XP and don't want any bs/jump thru hoops from MS. I don't think the HAL will create problems for a new card but think it will if I change mobos to try and unlock a cpu.

My data is backed up but I'd have to reinstall all appls and other crap. Don't believe you can re-install over the old OS. Anyone have experience in this? Worst case I think I can reinstall everything even if I choose a new build, but I'd rather not have to do so obviously.

Appreciate any input from people who know.

Thanks in advance,

Mac
Mac29
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby evasive » Mon May 27, 2013 9:50 pm

It always depends on how different the old and the new system are. If you get a different chipset manufacturer of your mass storage controller, please please do a clean install. An "upgrade migration" has too much cr*p in the registry in the long run to be stable in my personal experience. See it as using duct tape, eventually you will have to fix things properly with a clean reinstall.

for XP:
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/libr ... 57090.aspx

for 7:
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/libr ... 10%29.aspx
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Return to General