Manuals

All hardware or software issues that do not have a specific forum go here.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Postby Barisan » Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:30 am

Hi all,

thx for realy massive feedback in this matter.

@Karlsweldt
Regarding PPro, the prob with cache ist known and as by lot of other old CPU's one brake. The main problem by the PPro is to have a mainboard with good voltage regulation, 66MHz/75MHz bus and with multiplier greater as 3,5... it gives only a few mobos matching this - Iwill P6NS, Tyan Tacoma and one from Asus. Other solution is to use slot1 mainboards with slotket card so. 8 to slot 1, I found one on ebay, pay it and never seen it. I am looking for slotkets from Asus, if somebody have some I would be interested to trade. RAM modules - i bought some from HP server maschines (128/256MB) and will build one old system with SCSI and 3dfx cards as relict from old times.

@evasive
no prob, I should make pictures of mainboard and send them zipped to u. Thx for your friendly help.

@Hardware Junkie
abitws - ?? I have copy of the Abit server done before they shut down them in April '12. My longtime project - to copy the sites with mobo descriptions from abitws server and rebuild so much as possible for one or another Abit fan.

Thx very much guys!
PDT_Armataz_01_40
Barisan
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby Karlsweldt » Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:46 am

For a slot 1 adapter to the Pentium Pro, very unlikely you will find one.. unless a collector has one to spare. Being so far back in motherboard design, not really a popular item. But the slot 1 adapter for socket 370 processors is still available on eBay. Be cautious about the jumper settings for the card.. you may not get any response, if set wrong.
The Pentium Pro series was actually a hybrid of the Pentium I/Pentium II line.. and will not adapt to the next-generation Pentium III series. WIKI Reference:
If you bought an adapter on eBay and never got it, then file a complaint about the item. If the seller did indeed ship it and it was lost in transit, you might get a refund. But with any deal on eBay, look for high feedback count and a high percentage of satisfied deals. This way, you are more assured of dealing with a reputable seller. As with any purchases, there are a few "bad apples" that spoil the entire field.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Barisan » Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:52 pm

Hi,

how ewer, who is looking would find:) I have allmoust 1000 CPU's in my collection and about 50 mainboards... the graphics cards spouse to be about 300~400 pcs. Asus, Gainward, Hercules, 3dfx etc... I am a bit wired:), Collecting only older HW, the "modern HW" is my gaming PC.

Regards
Barisan
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby Karlsweldt » Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:12 am

Barisan wrote:Hi,
how ewer, who is looking would find:) I have allmoust 1000 CPU's in my collection and about 50 mainboards... the graphics cards spouse to be about 300~400 pcs. Asus, Gainward, Hercules, 3dfx etc... I am a bit wired:), Collecting only older HW, the "modern HW" is my gaming PC.
Regards

Sounds like me!!! :oops:
I have accumulated more than 50 older computer models.. from the XT to the AT and such.. up to present-day models. Lots of older motherboards, device cards too. I pass on the "more common" items, choosing the more interesting and rarer items. You might find this site interesting.. http://www.oldcomputermuseum.com/My_Collection.html
Forgotten names such as Altaire, Digital, Epson, Kaypro and Wang are listed. The older hard drive type was an MFM design, using a servo stepper motor to land on a desired cylinder track. Quite a bit noisier than the RLL type currently standard! And back in the late 1970s, if you had a hard drive, it might have only held 10 megs.. and cost several hundred dollars!!!!!!
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Barisan » Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:15 am

He, he,

Sinclair ZX81 as first "Computer", Commodore 64 (81) as second and 1982 I got from my dad a first real PC - Honeywell 8086 with 2 5 1/4 Inch drives... that was for my graduation... six months later I got a HDD with 20MB capacity and 10Kg weight... RLL...
Man can say, that was the time!

P.S.
I edit the year for the real PC.... It was a Long time ago:)
Barisan
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby Hardware Junkie » Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:05 am

Barisan wrote:
@Hardware Junkie
abitws - ?? I have copy of the Abit server done before they shut down them in April '12. My longtime project - to copy the sites with mobo descriptions from abitws server and rebuild so much as possible for one or another Abit fan.

Yeah I had a server running for a bit as well for the same purposes. I backed up Abit before it died. I eventually sent Mobokive to a few different people. It still resides on Evasive's webpage.

Your motherboard had a folder on their old FTP site, but it looks like it was empty. So they intended to upload it, but never got around to it.
"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gautier

Hardware Junkie
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Barisan » Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:14 am

Hi folks,

@Hardware Junkie
Do u have backup from old FTP site?

@evasive
Nice idea with abit, in the meantime I saved lot of abit sites with descriptions... If u want, u can have it.

Cheers
Barisan
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby Hardware Junkie » Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:43 am

I think the old drive is around somewhere but I can't put it online, my upload is too crappy on the cable connection I have.
DSL doesn't work to well in my area..
"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gautier

Hardware Junkie
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Toby B. » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:06 pm

I would have loved to keep Mobokive alive, but things went down the crapper. Fortunately the transfer server, worked out as all/nearly all that data has been purged from motherboards.org, and the mobokive domain (I had) is dead.
Toby B.
Lead Mobo-fu Master
Lead Mobo-fu Master

Postby evasive » Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:02 am

Barisan: if you have some way I can access that stuff, send me a PM with details, I'll be glad to mirror the stuff into the last online copy of mobokive.

HWJ: if you know of stuff that is missing from my copy of the mobokive, let me know and we work out some way to get it at my place. PM me for details on that.
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

PreviousNext

Return to General