How to set BIOS for SATA HDD on an IDE Motherboard

All hardware or software issues that do not have a specific forum go here.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Postby mezman » Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:00 pm

Mr T wrote:For the age of board try getting an IDE drive. You can still pick up new ones from 160Gb to 320Gb quite easily (well here in the UK), but they are not cheap. The other way to go is to get a laptop IDE drive (yes you can still get them) and use an IDE to laptop IDE converter and stick the drive in a 2.5" to 3.5" converter.
I had a GA -7VAXP back in the day good board, but the fan on the the northbridge chip went and it does suffer bad capacitors.

This is a desk top not lap top, also yes did have that fan go out some years ago but gigabyte replaced it for me and no probs since. My issues are stemming from a failing IDE HDD and trying to make the SATA HDD work that I purchased. Starting to look like a horrible idea.
mezman
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby Mr T » Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:25 pm

As I said, you can stick a laptop drive in a desktop using a converter - all new (99%) Solid State drives are 2.5" SATA and work the same in a desktop as a laptop... On the age of your board, an IDE drive would be the easier option. Check out what Newegg have if you are in the states.. It will tide you over till you can do a full system upgrade...
I have been programming on computers since the ZX81.
I am an apprentice trained Electronics Engineer with qualifications to back it up.
I have been repairing computers since 1996.
Yet to some people I still know nothing...
Mr T
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Postby Karlsweldt » Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:55 am

Good idea from Mr T to go with a laptop drive! They may be smaller and use less current, but are still available in under 200 GB sizes. And perform as well as a 3.5" drive. New Egg has listings for the IDE 3.5" to the 2.5" laptop drive adapters.. some under $10.00 USD. Other sources should have similar offerings. An adapter plate would be needed, to mount in a standard 3.5" or 5.25" bay. The only difference with the drives is that the 2.5" drive gets its power from the data ribbon, no separate power connector as with the 3.5" drives. Hence the power lead on the adapter.
eBay's Computer and Network category has offerings of new IDE drives. Ensure the listing is noted as "NEW" if you purchase. A 'used' drive may be OK for a while, but you never know how long it was used. A "new pull" should also be a decent purchase. They are hard drives that saw little use, replaced per a customer's request for larger drives.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby mezman » Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:08 pm

Thanks guys, really appreciate all the input provided. Checking all options now, was simply hoping to use a sata hdd that was sold to me by an ill informed salesman (go figure). As the consumer I should have done more homework. Guess all this means is that I have the first part to my new system :). Does anyone have a gaming system they are getting ready to upgrade from and are interested in selling?
mezman
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby evasive » Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:24 pm

First set your budget... Find what you want to be able to run... What the main purpose for the machine will be... What brands you feel comfortable with...
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Roach412 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:54 pm

mezman wrote:Does anyone have a gaming system they are getting ready to upgrade from and are interested in selling?

i may have the remnants of a mATX system if you're interested. mobo, cpu/HS/fan, memory, case and psu...

-Roach
Lian Li Lancool First Knight Series PC-K59W
Intel Core i7-960 Bloomfield 3.2GHz
EVGA X58 FTW3 132-GT-E768-TR
EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 FTW GAMING ACX 3.0
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 12GB (3 x 4GB)
Crucial M4 128gb SATAIII SSD x2
Crucial M4 256gb SATAIII SSD
OCZ Saber 1000 960GB Enterprise SSD
Corsair Professional Series HX850 PSU
Dell UltraSharp U2713HM 27" w/drop ceiling mount
Logitech G930 7.1 Headset