How to set BIOS for SATA HDD on an IDE Motherboard

All hardware or software issues that do not have a specific forum go here.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

How to set BIOS for SATA HDD on an IDE Motherboard

Postby mezman » Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:25 pm

Hi all, Trying to get a new sata HDD installed on a socket A (dont lol) motherboard. GA-7VAXP from gigabyte but I can't seem to get the HDD recognized (I suspect BIOS settings. Also I am doing this via PCI sata card. Secondly how do I install the pci cards drivers if i cant get hdd recognized? Please HELP!!!! As a newb to the forum's site i can not post url's sry for the inconvenience.
mezman
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Thought this forum had know how ppl?!?!

Postby mezman » Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:00 pm

Any suggestion is a good one. Please respond!!
mezman
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby evasive » Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:08 am

What is the brand/model of the new SATA drive?

Where can you not get it recognized? BIOS, windows setup, in windows itself? Did you connect both the data and the power cables? Are you sure the SATA card has a bios so you can boot from it?

I suspect you got an el cheapo SATA card without its own BIOS. That will not boot a disk. Replace it with one that does (more expensive, I know) and provide it with a floppy disk with drivers during windows XP setup. Anything beyond XP is stretching this board/setup so that's why I suspect you have this classic problem.

Downloads:
http://www.gigabyte.com/products/produc ... 91&dl=1#sp
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Karlsweldt » Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:11 am

Add-in storage drive controller cards have to be set for primary or secondary address use.. while retaining the IRQ allocation for either 14 or 15 (primary/secondary ports). The add-in card would have either manual jumpers to set this feature, or a 'soft-set' program to do so. When using an add-in storage drive controller that duplicates the on-board feature, you have to disable the on-board feature or change the IRQ/DMA status for the add-in card. Otherwise, they confuddle the drive's self-ID status.
For older systems that have only PCI card slots, no gain in data speed will be had.. unless the older system is slower than ATA 100 rated. Newer motherboard models have PCI-E slots, which are much faster than the older PCI type.
Yes, the older ATA type hard drive is fading from use. But if an older system still works well and has no replacement, then the proper hard drive size may be difficult to come by (BIOS restrictions). Create a larger drive's primary partition within the BIOS limits, and you should be GTG.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Mr T » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:16 am

Which PCI slot is the SATA card in? Try placing it as far from the Graphics card slot as possible. All PCI IDE or SATA cards I have used have their own BIOS that you should see when the motherboard boots after the motherboard shows RAM count and everything. If you see it you should see the SATA drive displayed. If not there is possibly an issue.
I have been programming on computers since the ZX81.
I am an apprentice trained Electronics Engineer with qualifications to back it up.
I have been repairing computers since 1996.
Yet to some people I still know nothing...
Mr T
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Just my luck

Postby mezman » Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:09 pm

I have been informed by Gigabyte that my MB will not accept a PCI to SATA card but "Might" accept a IDE to SATA Adapter. Any brand suggestions, and does anyone have experience with this type of ide to sata attempt. Also PCI card was tried in slot 2 ans slot 4 with same results.
mezman
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Re: Just my luck

Postby Mr T » Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:17 pm

mezman wrote:I have been informed by Gigabyte that my MB will not accept a PCI to SATA card but "Might" accept a IDE to SATA Adapter. Any brand suggestions, and does anyone have experience with this type of ide to sata attempt. Also PCI card was tried in slot 2 ans slot 4 with same results.
Odd, they usually do work... However IDE to SATA adaptors are very hit and miss. The ones I have had least problems with are by Startech, but they are not the cheapest. The lack of SATA support comes from the VIA 8235 southbridge chip. Your add-on card should bypass this issue and give you support for large hard drives. Are you using the drive for storage or to run the operating system from it?
Last edited by Mr T on Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am an apprentice trained Electronics Engineer with qualifications to back it up.
Mr T
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Postby mezman » Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:24 pm

yea I think Im going to see if Microcenter has one and will take back the pci sata card they sold me (dumb asses) if not guess I will just try and find a PATA drive. Seems locally no body carries them any longer smh.
mezman
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby Mr T » Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:31 pm

For the age of board try getting an IDE drive. You can still pick up new ones from 160Gb to 320Gb quite easily (well here in the UK), but they are not cheap. The other way to go is to get a laptop IDE drive (yes you can still get them) and use an IDE to laptop IDE converter and stick the drive in a 2.5" to 3.5" converter.
I had a GA -7VAXP back in the day good board, but the fan on the the northbridge chip went and it does suffer bad capacitors.
Mr T
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Postby evasive » Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:48 pm

Mr T wrote: I had a GA -7VAXP back in the day good board, but the fan on the the northbridge chip went and it does suffer from bad capacitors.

Seen that on a clients machine. Mezman: please check http://www.badcaps.net to see what we mean by this. Check your board.
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Next

Return to General