Windows 7 won't allow high resolution?

All hardware or software issues that do not have a specific forum go here.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Postby Frozti » Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:47 pm

I have the newest drivers and i tried uninstalling previous drivers with no luck. I right click on the desktop and click screen resolution and in the drop down next to display, it says "Acer AL1714" giving me no other option. If i click on advanced settings>monitor it says at the top "Generic PnP Monitor". Why is it so confused?
Frozti
Initiate
Initiate

Postby evasive » Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:38 am

I have no idea why windows thinks there's an Acer connected. First do this:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315539

Then in Device Manager select View - Show hidden devices and uninstall all your Acer/Westinghouse monitors and the hidden ones. Then redetect your monitors and see what happens.
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby evasive » Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:44 am

Time for some tooling/diagnostics:
http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/monitor_info_view.html

Download, unpack, run and reply with what is shown in the table.
http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/monitorinfoview.zip

I'm starting to suspect your monitor is not sending back the proper information.
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Frozti » Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:10 pm

Here is a screenshot of what is shown in the monitor info tool. I don't see the correct monitor or resolution anywhere...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/71163096@N ... hotostream
Frozti
Initiate
Initiate

Postby Karlsweldt » Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:38 am

That link for the monitor tool won't zoom in enough to read info.

As I noted previously, try a lower refresh rate at the higher resolution. One serious fault with Windows is that every feature has to be optimized, even if it doesn't respond as wanted!
Set the adapter rate at 60 Hz and go up to 70 Hz, then 72 Hz. Lock in the settings by using the 'apply' tab then 'ok' tab. If the test screen is not proper, then wait 15 seconds and the previous good resolution/refresh rate will be restored. If the monitor image is not centered, the on-screen menu should have an auto-set choice for centering, or use the manual settings. Yes, refresh rate can skew the image a bit.

Very likely Westinghouse, like other brands, does not make that monitor.. instead it is a rebranded item from another source.. such as LG, Samsung or Toshiba, to name a few. The embedded ID code may not be correct, and is confusing the OS.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Frozti » Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:24 pm

but its set to 60 right now isnt that the lowest? what does this have to do with anything, im trying to get to my momitor to its max resolution of 1400 x 1050 and windows thinks i have a different monitor so it only lets me go to 1280 x 1024

bear with me im a bit special...
Frozti
Initiate
Initiate

Postby Frozti » Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:26 pm

btw to be able to see verything in the photo u must click the "Actions" drop down menu above the picture and select "View All Sizes" then select the largest size and u can see everything.
Frozti
Initiate
Initiate

Postby Karlsweldt » Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:00 am

Frozti wrote:btw to be able to see everything in the photo u must click the "Actions" drop down menu above the picture and select "View All Sizes" then select the largest size and u can see everything.

That works! :D
From the info seen, both the Acer and HP monitor types can go out to 82 Hz refresh rate. Should be the same, for this Westinghouse monitor, if made in the same style.
Perhaps there is more than one monitor listed in the device table for that feature. Starting in 'safe' mode, then going into the control panel/system/device manager and checking the items should show what is there. Delete all except what is actually present.
There should be a small file in the "Inf" folder for Windows, for what features/performance a monitor has. Typically obtained in an auto-search for devices when the OS is installed.
But going with a 'default' PNP monitor may show some good results.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Previous

Return to General