Where to get the right PSU connector?

All hardware or software issues that do not have a specific forum go here.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Where to get the right PSU connector?

Postby abrogard » Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:41 pm

I got a dc7100 motherboard for the 755 chips I have and now I find they need a 'microfit' 24 pin power supply connector.

Can't find them anywhere.

Anyone know where I can find them? Or do I need to get an original type PSU? Or there's adapters?

Have I blundered badly.. ?

p.s.

I can't actually identify the motherboard, either, and get the manual or spec sheet or drawing for it.

The manual for the Compaq desktop DC7100 series was easy enough to get :

(http://bizsupport2.austin.hp.com/bc/doc ... 211142.pdf )

is that as good as I'm going to get? There's no separate manual for the board? And what is the board? It has 985 written on it somewhere..
abrogard
Initiate
Initiate

Postby Hardware Junkie » Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:13 am

Only option for that board is to buy the power supply intended to run it
http://www.amazon.com/Compaq-DC7100-SFF ... B00655VG20

Motherboard and power supply are proprietary. Forces you to get specific parts from compaq/hp.
"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gautier

Hardware Junkie
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Karlsweldt » Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:33 am

If a motherboard has a 24-pin main power connector, then the PSU must have the matching plug. Only if you run a low-power CPU, would you probably be safe using a 20-pin plug on that socket. The board traces can carry only so much current.. hence the added connections and traces for high-power CPU models.. plus that AT12v special 4-pin connection!
New Egg does offer an adapter for 20-pin PSU plugs to 24-pin sockets. Should also be available from other sources. Ensure the PSU wattage is sufficient for the setup!!
But look among the PSU headers for a 4-pin plug with orange, black, red and yellow leads.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Hardware Junkie » Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:02 pm

Found a better picture here:
http://azsurplus.com/index.php?main_pag ... ts_id=4178

Looks like a 24pin connector to me. The only problem with using a standard ATX power supply is you would have to move the system into a different case. The original one is a really weird design.

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gautier

Hardware Junkie
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Mr T » Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:45 pm

You would be better off buying a new case with a standard ATX PSU... I have refurbed a tonne of these and generally all the cases and PSU's go to scrap... Proprietry stuff is a nightmare...
I have been programming on computers since the ZX81.
I am an apprentice trained Electronics Engineer with qualifications to back it up.
I have been repairing computers since 1996.
Yet to some people I still know nothing...
Mr T
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Postby abrogard » Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:37 pm

Good news from you, Mr T - sounds like I can use virtually any ATX PSU? I have a couple here already. But of course they have the normal 20 pin plug and another 4 pin plug for the onboard cpu power.

You've refurbished a few of them? Where do you get the 'microfit' 24 pin plug or adapter?
abrogard
Initiate
Initiate

Postby evasive » Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:08 am

We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby abrogard » Sun Feb 10, 2013 3:01 am

Can't afford the original PSU - at $60 all up it's more than I paid for the board... cheaper to get another board and have more than 240W available.

Not sure about the connector if it's the right thing but they don't normally sell to Australia but will do me a 'manual' sale and it'll cost $25 for the freight alone...

Ends up about the same thing as the PSU.

Could I make up my own connector/adaptor?

Stick wires into the onboard 24pin thing and connect the wires to standard 20pin + 4 pin?

I've emailed the guy I bought the thing from (ebay) but he hasn't answered yet. Thought he might have something to help...

Live and learn...
abrogard
Initiate
Initiate

Postby Mr T » Sun Feb 10, 2013 3:41 am

Its a standard ATX PSU, albeit it has 24 pin which is now the standard too.. The only thing is the shape, which was done to fit in the low profile micro ATX case HP used. Also the original PSU max power output is 200w which is very poor by up to date standards... We refurbed a lot by ditching the case and PSU (get more for scrap value and putting them in more modern usable cases).. Reason being, most people buy a destop (cheap one) to surf the net and play low level games, so sometimes want more RAM, bigger hard drive etc which strains the HP 200w PSU (POS) and it comes back for warranty repair with a blown PSU...
I have been programming on computers since the ZX81.
I am an apprentice trained Electronics Engineer with qualifications to back it up.
I have been repairing computers since 1996.
Yet to some people I still know nothing...
Mr T
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Postby Karlsweldt » Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:23 am

Those "micro" computer designs are considered throw-away or disposable.. very little in upgrades possible. Maybe they take up a bit less desk space than a full-sized case, but they lack in performance and quality. Better to go with a mid-tower or full-tower setup. Almost any item in the setup can be had from any source, and is in most uses interchangeable. Have seen many owners start to cry when told about the cost of repairs, or that the system is toast because of low quality! For maybe 100 dollars more, you could have a bit better setup that can be upgraded later!
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Next

Return to General