Board Connector Issue

All hardware or software issues that do not have a specific forum go here.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Board Connector Issue

Postby mnewsome » Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:39 pm

Replaced motherboard for the Dell X1 and in the last connection is the keyboard. Images are uploaded to a microsoft folder:

http://tinyurl.com/bbz4d6k
(https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=52b21d2f ... 51A%212847)

The [biege] system board connection is shown just opposite the black keyboard connector cable. The system board connector is extensible and shown in the extended position. Could not insert the cable with my hand. Have a forcep instrument that has not helped. Is there more to the system board connector that can be done to allow the cable connection to be made? Guidance sought

--Editted by HWJ - Fixed Link
mnewsome
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby evasive » Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:59 am

Looking at the white connector you can see the little fingers on each outer end? What you do is you insert your ribbon cable into the connector, then move forward the fingers (down in the picture), it should clamp the ribbon cable snugly after that.
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Case Continued...

Postby mnewsome » Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:29 am

Much thanks for your timely reply. I actually solved the problem before your text and the next issue presents itself. The notebook parts are connected and I find that the power button LED and the ethernet link light are both connected.

The board was replaced because the power connector broke. I find that the display remains black and was never a problem before. Other items are as follows:

- one of the reboots generated two short beeps. If there is an error beep code chart I would want to know what that would suggest.
- there is no ethernet cable connected to anything and so there should be no link light. What would this suggest.
- this machine was put away at least two years ago. I know that the display could have just gone bad on its own but would ask if there is a checklist to troubleshoot this. I beleve that the connections are in place as per the Dell X1 service manual.

Images are uploaded to: http://tinyurl.com/a2jnm9u
(https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=5 ... 5A51A!2863)
Your continued guidance is appreciated

-- Editted by HWJ - Post and Link Fixed
mnewsome
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby evasive » Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:39 am

Case continued? Can you explain what your issue still is? Without the ribbon inserted you should be able to move the 2 fingers down &up in the picture (sliding action compared to the board) with ease. If not this may be a clamp solution where you lift it up, insert the ribbon and press it down, but it does not look like one of those.
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Hardware Junkie » Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:23 am

Had to fix both posts. This message board really doesn't like the Microsoft SkyDrive links.
mnewsome - Any future posts with pics, throw them into TinyURL.com and link them that way.

Just a point on the first issue you had. All motherboard connectors for laptops are like that. Its a pain in the butt you just get used to.

The second problem you are running into looks like there is a problem with the board. You said you replaced it. Where did you get the new one? Was it an ebay purchase or direct from Dell?
"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gautier

Hardware Junkie
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Karlsweldt » Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:04 am

The connection for keyboard data ribbons (and other features) relies on a sliding clamp to ensure anchoring and proper contact. This link may help explain its 'manipulation". You need a special pair of pliers or wide forceps to release the clamping bar for easy removal of the ribbon. And to open the slot so the ribbon can be inserted properly. Trying to lift one side alone can damage the clamping bar!! If lacking that tool, then two dental picks with an angled hook can be used to lift or push on the clamping bar. Trying to insert the ribbon end with the clamping bar closed can cause irreparable damage!
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Re: Case Continued...

Postby rascard2007 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:15 am

mnewsome wrote:- one of the reboots generated two short beeps. If there is an error beep code chart I would want to know what that would suggest.
- there is no ethernet cable connected to anything and so there should be no link light. What would this suggest.
- this machine was put away at least two years ago. I know that the display could have just gone bad on its own but would ask if there is a checklist to troubleshoot this. I beleve that the connections are in place as per the Dell X1 service manual.

- 2 short beeps: POST Error - error code shown on screen
- the link light could be misconnected
- Rarely a display goes bad by hinself, except if it was stored in a wram or hot place
"I have only come here seeking knowledge,
Things they would not teach me of in college"
-Wrapped Around Your Fingers-
-The Police-
rascard2007
Black Belt
Black Belt

Return to General