The Mother Board

Motherboards.org forums. Free tech support, motherboard ID, and more.
It is currently Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:47 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Asus RIVE - Help
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 2:34 pm 
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

I got this new motherboard and there are some options that I don't have a clue about, so I was wondering if anyone have this motherboard can please enlightenment me some knowledge. Thank you so much.

Base of the spec of the motherboard:

ASUS Rampage IV Extreme LGA 2011 Intel X79
First Question:
Memory StandardDDR3 2400(O.C.)/2133(O.C.)/1866/1600/1333/1066
1. What does the motherboard mean by DDR3 2400 Overclocked? Does this means that this board can only be use with RAM that is under 2400? That is because I want to get a set of the Ripjaws 2400 32GB. I was wondering if this will work with it.

Second Question:

Storage Devices:
SATA 3Gb/s = 4 Ports

SATA 6Gb/s = 4 x SATA 6Gb/s

SATA RAID
2 x SATA 6Gb/s port(s), red and 4 x SATA 3Gb/s port(s), black support RAID 0, 1, 5, 10

2. My questions is that:I was able to get some of the Kingston Hyper X 120gb 6.0Gb/s SSD from a friend. I got 5 total, Given that the board only have 4 SATA 6Gb/s slots do you think that I can use all five SSDs? Also, It say that 2x SATA 6gb/s RAID, does that means that I am only able to RAID only 2 of my 5 SSDs? I want to put them all in a RAID 0.

Thank you for the Help. I am very new, and I am trying to learn as I build this PC please help. And thank you for looking.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 3:22 am 
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Quote:
1. What does the motherboard mean by DDR3 2400 Overclocked? Does this means that this board can only be use with RAM that is under 2400? That is because I want to get a set of the Ripjaws 2400 32GB. I was wondering if this will work with it.
It means that if you you use DDR3 2400 or 2133, you have to set the speed manually and separately from the CPU's 'front side bus' (fsb) in order for it to run at its rated speed, otherwise it will fall back to ddr3 1800...

Quote:
2. My questions is that:I was able to get some of the Kingston Hyper X 120gb 6.0Gb/s SSD from a friend. I got 5 total, Given that the board only have 4 SATA 6Gb/s slots do you think that I can use all five SSDs? Also, It say that 2x SATA 6gb/s RAID, does that means that I am only able to RAID only 2 of my 5 SSDs? I want to put them all in a RAID 0.
You can use all your SSD's, 6GB/s is backward compatible with the older SATA standards... Only two of the slots are hardware RAID for the 6Gb's, if you RAID them with the others, it will drop to the slowest speed....

If you are really new at this, keep things simple to start off with, don't RAID, just use 1 of the SSD's on a 6Gb/s slot and install the OS to that, then set the others as RAID, use RAID1 if you want 'parity' (ie backup for your valuable stuff) or RAID0 for performance...

Yet to some people I still know nothing...