Possible use for a Powerbook G3 Mac?

All hardware or software issues that do not have a specific forum go here.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

filecore
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Possible use for a Powerbook G3 Mac?

Post by filecore »

Okay. Looks like I'm getting given a Mac Powerbook G3 that the owner no longer wants. It's 300MHz, 64MB, DVD, ethernet, PCMCIA USB, 8GB HDD, and all the rest. It currently runs Mac OS 9 and doesn't have enough resources for an upgrade. I'm not so familiar with Macs and Mac software, so I'll ask - what possible uses does this machine have? Can I install some handy software on it? Can I install a different OS on it? What can I do beyond word processing and web browsing?

Thanks!
Home server: Asus P5Q Pro, Core2Quad, 8GB DDR2, ENGTX260 876MB, Zalman 800w, Antec P180 case, 2x1TB and 2x2TB Samsung Spinpoint F1, Windows 7 64-bit, etc

Work server: HP ProLiant ML350 G6, hexacore Xeon E5645 2.4GHz (12 logical cores), 16GB DDR3, 3x300GB SAS RAID5, Server 2008 R2, nVidia GT560Ti 1GB for Hyper-V RemoteFX acceleration
sbrehm72255
Green Belt
Green Belt

Post by sbrehm72255 »

That's aboutallyou can use it for INHO unless you want to pay a bunch to upgrade the thing. And I'm afraid that you're stuck with the Mac OS as far as I know anyways............. :twisted:
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Post by Karlsweldt »

A Mac OS is very close in structure to Linux.. and you may want to install Linux on a Mac for greater flexibility. Article:
As to upgrade of the OS on a Mac, there are limits as to how far back the newer OS can accommodate older designs. Debate:
There may be possible processor/memory hdd upgrades that are within its scope, but best to check on the official Mac site and Forums.
It still should do well at [email protected] with its limited resources.
[email protected] to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!