CPU and the Core Temp Program

All hardware or software issues that do not have a specific forum go here.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

keyports2
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

CPU and the Core Temp Program

Post by keyports2 »

This is my first build and I do not have the expertise that the big companies have so I just want to make sure everything is right.

I am using an Evga 680I mobo the A1 ver. I have just as of yesterday upgraded to a Core 2 Duo E6750.

According to the CPU-Z program ver. 1.42 I think I should be able to read both cores. However looking at the "Selection" section it shows cores = 1 and threads = 1.

According to the Core Temp program Ver. 0.95
The Tjuncion reads 85c
Core #0 reads 12c
Core #1 (is blank)

What I read when I down loaded the core temp program is that it should show both core temps and it shows in an illustration that it reads both.

So the CPU-Z reads one core and the Core Temp program reads one core am I running on only one core? Any idea of what is going on here or is my noobe status showing?
sbrehm72255
Green Belt
Green Belt

Post by sbrehm72255 »

CPUz will only report one core as they are both set the same and can't be changed independantly of each other.

As for core temp, you need to download version 95.4 to get the correct readings for your CPU.

Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Post by Karlsweldt »

A better program would be PC Wizard, from www.cpuid.com/pcwizard.php .
It is 'freeware', but the programmers would appreciate a donation to keep it so. A better program would be Everest Ultimate Diagnostics, from www.lavalys.com/ which is not expensive. There is a trial version, but some features are locked out.
Even better still would be SiSoft Sandra, from www.sisoftware.com/ .
It is very easy to use the Ctrl+Alt+Del keys to bring up the Task Manager, and select 'performance' to bring up a graph of each core in the CPU that is active, plus system memory usage.
[email protected] to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
keyports2
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Post by keyports2 »

Thanks Sbrehm,
I down loaded the Core Temp v. 0.95.4. According to your screen shot it shows that your Tjunction is 100c Core # 0 = 15c and Core #1= 16c.
Off topic for a second what are you using for cooling?
Currently with my Core Temp program I am showing Tjunction = 100c, Core # 0= 37c and Core #1 is blank. Not temp at all.
Any ideas.

As for the CPU-Z program I noticed the following in your screen shot you have 450 in the Bus speed and 1800 in the Rated FSB. Both of these spots are blank in my program. Moving on down to "Selection Processor #1" Your shows Cores = 2 and Threads = 2. On my CPU-Z program it shows Cores = 1 and Threads = 1.
Again any ideas?

Karl, Thanks for your input. I down loaded the PC Wizard. In this program I am guessing that the CPU temp and the Core #1 temp are showing me that yes I do have two cores since the temps are different. Something else has come up with this program. Core #1 load shows me say 16% Core #2 shows a minus -1%. Someone somewhere wrote about the second core showing a negative number. If anyone knows anything about this please let me know I would like to learn more.

Again thanks for all your help.
sbrehm72255
Green Belt
Green Belt

Post by sbrehm72255 »

Do you by chance have one of your cores disabled in the bios by mistake, that is possible.

Oh, and I'm running water cooling and my rig is currently in the basement and it gets a bit chilly down here............. :twisted:
sbrehm72255
Green Belt
Green Belt

Post by sbrehm72255 »

If what you're getting looks like this screenie, then either you have one of the cores turned off in the bios or one core is bad. It may be possible that the board is bad, but I don't think so.

In this screen shot I had gone into my bios and disabled one of my cores and I think this is what your getting, at least from what I make out of your post.

Go into your system bios and make sure that both cores are enabled.

keyports2
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Post by keyports2 »

Sbrehm,
That is exactly what I am showing. I have checked the bios and both cores are enabled. I went ahead and returned the CPU thinking that I had a bad core and as of yesterday I installed another CPU. I still have the same readings showing only one core on the CPU-Z program.

Again using the PC Wizard 2008 it show that I have a load on core #1 but on core # 2 it show -1%. Again, I have seen that some place and I can not remember where I saw it and in what context it was written.

I tried to run Prime 95 on the second core. This program is new to me and I am not sure I did it right. I entered run core 1 and also tried run core 2 under prcessor Affinity and I could not using the Wizard program get it to show a load on Core # 2.

The odds are just too great that I could get two CPUs with the same problem. I am also going to have to say that it is not the programs. That leaves the Bios or the mobo. Prior to installing the CPU I install the latest Bios for this board.

Should I try reinstalling the Bios?
sbrehm72255
Green Belt
Green Belt

Post by sbrehm72255 »

You might want to check the CPU socket on the MoBo and see if there are any bent pins, it possible that even with bent pins the board would work but disable part of the core.

Strange problem indeed, to be honest, this is the first time I've seen or heard of anything of this nature.
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Post by Karlsweldt »

Depending on the programming load, perhaps only one core is called for. Try running an involved process in the background.. such as [email protected] Then you will note that both cores, if enabled, are working their data hearts off.
And also check in the BIOS to see if there is a control line to enable the HT feature for the CPU.
Yes, the process is different for either the AMD or Intel processors.. but the control feature may be identical in wording.
And not all versions of an OS platform can recognize and utilize the multi-core feature of processors.
[email protected] to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
keyports2
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Post by keyports2 »

Karl,
Thanks for looking back in on this thread. I down loaded as you suggested [email protected] and I am running it. I also at the same time started Prime 95. According to PC Wizard Core #1 is at 100% Core #2 is at -1%.

According to the Bios both cores are enabled.

I also open Windows Task Manger. The CPU showed 100% usage. There were a couple of red bars along with the green. I don't know what that means.

I found another article regarding stress test and they did a screen shot showing in their case 4 graphs for four cores. I am only showing one graph.

You mention HT. If you are referring to HT spread spectrum that is disabled in the Bios.

I think I down to calling Evga Monday and seeing if they can show me that I am running two cores and if not they are going to get the mobo back.